Become a Griffon
Students are granted admission to Missouri Western State University after their academic transcripts, test scores and/or other necessary admission documents are received. For specific admission requirements, select the student group you fall into below:
Have questions for a current student? Chat with a student ambassador.
Find Your Passion
Whatever your passion, Missouri Western help you achieve your dreams. With personalized student success programs, tailored to your talents and interests, you’ll find Missouri Western’s commitment starts at enrollment and continues throughout your life.
Explore our colleges and schools
Missouri Western’s three colleges and four schools offer four-year baccalaureate programs, professional master’s degrees, two-year associate degrees, pre-professional transfer programs and one-year certificates. Whatever your interest, we can help you achieve your dreams.
Paying for college
We have the third lowest tuition in Missouri, and we’re proud of it! You’ll notice that Missouri Western does not shy away from talking about cost, because we are committed to providing an exceptional educational experience at an affordable price.
Cost Per Year Snapshot
|Tuition and fees (15 credit hours/semester)
|Room and board
||$8,348 – $11,266
||$8,348 – $11,266
|Cost per year (most affordable option)
|TYPICAL NET COST
*Figures subject to change
**Includes mandatory fees but NOT program or course-specific fees, which will vary per student.
Complete Tuition & Fee Breakdowns | Housing Costs & Meal Plan Options
Determine the true cost of your education
Some universities might offer more scholarship money than others, but their tuition could be higher so it’s always a good idea to make an ‘apples to apples’ comparison before making a final decision on where you intend to go.
University Cost Comparisons | Our Budget Worksheet
Griffon Rate Waiver
Did you know we have a special tuition waiver for students who live in Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Tennessee? The Griffon Rate waiver covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition! That’s a savings of almost 50%! Learn more information about Griffon Rate.
Invest in your future
A college education is a sound financial decision — in fact, people who graduate from a four-year university earn almost $1.1 million more in their lifetimes than those with a high school degree.
- 97% of first-time freshmen receive financial aid
- Students receive $61 million each year in financial aid
- Qualified students are eligible to pay in-state tuition through unique in-state tuition programs
- Missouri Western offers automatic merit-based scholarships and more than 230 types of competitive scholarships
Financial Aid Resources
Welcome Home, Griffons!
Fall in love with your home away from home, where you will do more than study and sleep. You will make lifelong friends and grow in all aspects of your life.
- We offer six residence halls including suite-style and apartment-style options.
- You’ll share a bathroom with your suitemates, not an entire floor.
- Dining Options
- Whether you want to have lunch in our all-you-care-to-eat dining hall, or grab a quick bite from Starbucks, our on-campus dining options will have something you’ll love. View all of our dining options
- Meal Plans
- Your safety is our top priority. To ensure your safety, we offer:
- Hall and room secure keycard access
- Resident assistants on site
- Professional staff on site
- 24/7 on-call campus police
- Griffon Alert emergency notification system. Sign up today!
Experience life as a Griffon and join one of our 80+ student organizations, attend concerts and speaker series, participate in intramural sports or serve in student government. Whatever your passion, you’ll find your fit here.
Check out these quick facts about Missouri Western
- Undergraduate enrollment (Fall 2021): 4,219
- Graduate enrollment (Fall 2021): 176
- 62% of undergraduate students are female, 38% are male, and 83% are from Missouri
- Second lowest tuition in Missouri
- 90% of classes have fewer than 30 students
- Students represent 37 states and 34 countries
- Average class size: 18
- 86% of faculty members with terminal degree
- Average ACT score: 21
- Missouri Western’s graduation rate is 9% higher than its peers
- 2020-21 degrees granted: 825
- 16 NCAA D2 athletic teams competing in the MIAA Conference
St. Joseph is the perfect midsize city. With so much to do in town, you’ll forget we’re only 45 minutes north of Kansas City.
- 125+ restaurants and pubs
- 50+ retail shops
- 26 miles of outdoor parkway
- 40+ parks and facilities
- Population of more than 76,000