The mission of the Career Development Center is to provide innovative programs and services that will assist Missouri Western students and alumni to develop lifelong career planning and job search skills.
In order to maintain the mission, the vision of the Career Development Center seeks to:
- Help students identify their interests, values, skills, and personality type; as well as facilitate an effective career exploration
- Educate and empower students and alumni to become active participants in their continuing development as lifelong learners
- Provide information and resources relative to careers, job and salary trends
- Facilitate professional development programs that prepares students to transition into an ever increasing competitive global marketplace
- Foster community connections between employers, students and alumni to increase recruitment opportunities
- Provide on-campus recruiting, job postings, career fairs and other programs to maximize access to applied learning and professional networking opportunities
Our one-on-one career advising is central in assisting students learn about themselves and, subsequently, the world of work. We believe that an interactive and developmental approach will assist student in the clarification of life and career goals. Therefore, each advising session is a critical component of the students’ success, because it allows us to tailor our insight and resources to each individual.
The lifelong process of career development begins with self discovery. In addition to our one-on-one advising services, we employ several assessment tools through which we help you build a foundation and uncover:
- Life/Work Values
- Skills and Core Competencies
- Career Interests
- Behavioral Style and Preferences
The assessments require that you meet with an advisor to help determine which assessment(s) are most relevant to your situation. If the advisor determines the Strong’s Interest Inventory and/or Myers Briggs Type Indicator is appropriate, you will be given log in instructions and scheduled for a second appointment to assist you interpret the results.
The Career Development Center, a division of Student Affairs, exists to support all MWSU degree seeking students and alumni.