Make the most of your college experience by living on campus! Whether you’re an incoming freshman, transfer student or current student, you’ll find your place at Missouri Western. Live on campus and get connected to campus life.

On-Campus Eligibility

Students living on campus must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours (undergraduate) or 6 credit hours (graduate) to reside in University housing. If a student currently living on campus must drop below the enrollment minimum they must complete and return the form below to Housing and Residence Life in the Commons for authorization to remain in University housing.

Minimum Housing Enrollment Waiver

First-Year Requirement

To enhance academic success, Missouri Western requires first-year students who have not previously attended this University and are taking 12 or more credit hours to reside in University housing their first two semesters unless they meet one of the following exceptions:

  • Are living with a parent, grandparent or legal guardian within a 50 mile radius of the Missouri Western campus (4525 Downs Drive, Saint Joseph, MO 64507) as determined by MapQuest
  • Are 21 years of age by the beginning of the academic year for which they are enrolling
  • Are a military veteran
  • Have completed more than 30 credit hours (not including high school classes taken for college credit)
  • Are married and or reside with dependent children

All first-year students must have either a housing contract or a granted waiver request on file with Housing and Residence Life. Failure to have a granted housing waiver on file will result in a room charge being placed on the student’s account.

Please submit a First-Year Requirement Waiver if you meet any of the above exemption criteria. These forms are available in the Housing and Residence Life office (Commons Building) or by downloading the form from this site.

Thank you making Missouri Western your home away from home! Being a transfer student, you may have already experienced on-campus living at a different institution. To complement your academic learning, there are a number of housing options that transfer students can choose from. Transfer students can live in any of our residence hall communities, except for Scanlon Hall first through third floors.

All MWSU students residing in the residence halls are required to provide a completed Health History Form, the Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Form and Immunization Documentation Form. The deadline for the completion is June 1st before registration and orientation. These forms are to be completed before moving into the residence halls. Students must submit proof of these immunizations and tests to the Esry Student Health Center.

Students who do not have the immunizations and tests, nor a completed Health History Form, or do not present an appropriately documented and signed medical or religious exemption form, may be denied housing. If you have questions or need a current list of required immunizations and tests, please contact the Esry Student Health Center at (816) 271-4495.

Thank you for visiting Missouri Western Housing and Residence Life. We hope that you choose to live on campus and make Missouri Western your home away from home.

Why Live On Campus
Living in the residence halls is convenient, fun and virtually worry free. It’s a fun and easy way to experience the excitement of college life. Students who live in the halls are more likely to meet new friends and become engaged in our vibrant campus community.

Visit www.missouriwestern.edu/global for more information.

Welcome back, Returning Students!
Living in the residence halls is convenient, simple and virtually worry free. It’s a fun and easy way to experience the excitement of college life. Students who live in the halls are more likely to meet new friends and become engaged in our vibrant campus community.

Contract Renewal
Contract renewal will be held in February of each year.  Watch your email and flyers posted in your residence hall for more information.

Having a roommate is one of those college experiences that can be amazing or challenging. The key to a great relationship with your roommate is communication and consideration. Here are some helpful tips to getting along with your roommate:

  • Put yourself in their shoes. Nothing is more true than the golden rule of residence halls: “Do unto your roommate as you would like your roommate to do unto you.”
  • Try not to have conversations while emotional. Often we say things during arguments that may be hurtful to the other person.
  • Talk to your Resident Assistant. They have experience with roommate issues and can give great suggestions to resolve conflicts. Also, they can arrange a meeting between roommates and act as an impartial mediator.
  • Opposites attract. If your roommate is totally unlike you, use this opportunity to get to know them and grow as a person.

Decorating Information
We encourage you to decorate your room to make it feel like home. However, there are a number of guidelines in order to maintain safety and minimize damage. See your RA or RHD or review the Residence Life Handbook to learn more about our decorating policy.

Prohibited Items
There are some items that are not allowed in the residence halls due to space or safety issues:

  • Air conditioners
  • Candles
  • Incense
  • Microwaves Over 900 Watts
  • Refrigerators over 5 Cubic Feet
  • Toasters/toaster ovens
  • Pets (fish are ok)
  • Hot pots and electric frying pans
  • Space heaters
  • Fireworks
  • Oil lamps
  • Halogen lamps
  • Traffic signs
  • Amplifiers
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Lava lamps
  • Ridiculous things you know you shouldn’t have but aren’t on this list. If you have doubts about whether you should bring something, please check with us first or review our policies and procedures

In the event of an emergency in your residence, immediately call University Police (ext. 4438) and the Resident Assistant. University Police can be reached 24 hours a day.

Fire Safety
Fire drills are held periodically, and all residents and guests are expected to leave the building during these drills. You should be aware of the quickest and safest ways out of the building in the event of an emergency. The residence life staff will provide this information at the beginning of each semester. Fire doors may not be propped open. Moreover, it is a violation of federal law to tamper with fire alarms, sprinklers, extinguishers and other fire equipment.

Students wishing to remain on campus over the summer months must apply electronically for Summer Housing through My Housing Information in Goldlink, once Housing and Residence Life notifies students that sign-up is available.

In order to qualify for summer housing, residents must be registered for the fall term (or be completing graduation requirements during the summer).

In addition to fall registration, you must fulfill one of the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in summer session 1, 2, or the full 8-week session, or an approved academic requirement
  • Be employed on-campus and have provided the form verifying that you will be working 20 or more hours per week
    • The Employment Verification form is located here
  • Be a student-athlete in a supervised off-season workout program verified by the Athletic Director
  • All requirements and verification must be received and approved before students will be allowed to move into summer housing.

Summer Housing Application opens mid Spring on Goldlink. Watch your email and flyers posted in your residence hall for more information. If you are a new, incoming student and wish to live on campus the summer before your first full academic year at Missouri Western please contact Housing and Residence Life at (816) 383-7100.