Students at Missouri Western who intend to receive VA benefits should contact the Missouri Western State University School Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office, Eder Hall, Room 103, (816)271-5679.

Veterans benefit allowances, Veterans Administration programs and policies, and Missouri Western State University procedures frequently change. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1-888-442-4551 or refer to the GI Bill website.

Guidelines for Using GI Bill Benefits

  1. You will be certified only for those courses that apply toward your degree objective. Your program/major and the number of hours you transfer into Missouri Western (from schools and military credit) will determine if you have elective hours available. The VA will not pay for minors or courses taken for audit.
  2. Receipt of the GI Bill is dependent on class attendance. This will affect the amount of benefits received and likely will result in an overpayment.
  3. You will not be certified for any courses that have been previously completed with a passing grade. NOTE: Certain courses and majors at Missouri Western require a “C” or better– in these instances anything below this grade will be considered failing and the class may be repeated.
  4. You must notify the School Certifying Official at Missouri Western if you alter your registration in any way. This includes dropping or adding a class, terminating enrollment, changing programs or majors, or any other changes that could affect your payment status.
  5. It is your responsibility to make arrangements with Missouri Western’s Business Office concerning payment of tuition and fees. The School Certifying Official will provide pertinent VA information to the Business Office if contacted by the student.
  6. It is your responsibility to notify Missouri Western’s Financial Aid Office of the GI Bill benefits you will receive. The Office of Veterans Affairs will report an estimate of benefits after the first week of classes which may, if substantially different than what you have reported, adjust any award received.
  7. In order to remain eligible for VA benefits, you must maintain satisfactory progress. Unsatisfactory progress will be reported to the VA if you are suspended from Missouri Western or receive punitive grades for all classes taken during a particular semester. Dependent on academic counseling, the VA may or may not accept subsequent certifications.
  8. You will be certified with the VA for all terms (and applicable breaks) attended on a consecutive basis, unless the School Certifying Official at Missouri Western is notified otherwise. If you layout for a regular semester (Fall and/or Spring) you must contact this office to reactivate your VA file.
Using GI Bill Money To Pay Your Tuition

Initial applications take the Veterans Administration 6-8 weeks to process. In general, the first GI Bill check can be expected approximately 8 weeks after the first day of class. A payment plan may be set up with the MWSU Business Office (Eder Hall, Room 104) if payment of tuition and fees is reliant on receipt of the GI Bill.

Required Military Forms

Those veterans having served active duty should present a copy of separation papers, form DD-214, with the application for benefits. Members of the National Guard or Selective Reserves should submit a “Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)”, form DD-2384, and a copy of the Kicker Contract, if applicable, with the benefits application.

GI Bill Comparison Tool

Checklist for Eligible Students Enrolled Under GI Bill Programs

  • Copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, to the School Certifying Official and the Admissions Office
  • Copy of DD Form 2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), to the School Certifying Official
  • Copies of active duty orders to the School Certifying Official
  • Copies of Certificate of Eligibility Letter if you are receiving Chapter 33 or Chapter 35, to the School Certifying Official
  • Official transcripts from other colleges and universities attended to the Admissions Office
  • Certificates of military course completion and other military documents of training to the Admissions Office
  • Certificates of military course completion and other military documents of training to the Admissions Office
  • Tuition Assistance (state and federal) confirmation letter to the Financial Aid Office

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at