The Bachelor of Science Major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is an interdisciplinary program offered jointly by the departments of Biology and Chemistry. It is designed to prepare students for graduate level education or careers in biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, and related biotechnology fields.
ACS Certification in Biochemistry
Students are eligible to receive certification in the area of Biochemistry from the American Chemical Society (ACS) if the following course work is completed.
& CHE 313
|Organic Chemistry II|
and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II
|CHE 326||Instrumental Analysis||4|
|CHE 441||Advanced Inorganic Chemistry||3|
|CHE 480||Advanced Physical Chemistry||4|
|MAT 177||Calculus with Analytic Geometry II||3|
|or MAT 287|| Multivariable Calculus|
Program Graduation Requirements
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.