Apply Today!
(816) 271-4337 | Eder Hall 201|

Accommodations and Testing

Accommodations and Testing2023-11-16T10:19:41-06:00


If you believe you need accommodations, you can choose to self-identify, submit documentation and make the decision about using accommodations. Accommodations are authorized after you submit a complete application with documentation and meet with an Access Specialist in the ARC.

Academic Adjustments and Accommodations

To request academic adjustments and accommodations, students should complete this form.

Academic adjustments and accommodations are available for students with documented disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act and other similar civil rights legislation. The purpose of academic adjustments and accommodations is to remove barriers that would otherwise prevent students with disabilities from having equal access to the same learning opportunities made available to all other students.

Housing Accommodations

Students with general housing accommodation requests should complete the Request for Reasonable Housing Accommodations. Housing accommodations are available to students with documented disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act. The purpose of housing accommodations is to remove barriers that would otherwise prevent students with disabilities from having equal access to the same opportunities to live in campus housing that is made available to all other student residents.

Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Accommodations

How to request an ESA Accommodation

  • Read the ESA Regulations.
  • Submit your request for an ESA Accommodation no later than July 15 each year for timely consideration. Approvals only last one academic year (August through July) so you will need to re-submit your request each year before returning to campus.
  • Submit documentation within the form confirming that there is an ongoing need for the ESA and that all of the animal’s records (vaccinations, city license, clean bill of health, etc.) are up to date.
  • Share the detailed information from within the form with your health care provider.

Missouri Western State University policy prohibits pets in our residence halls. However, exemptions from this policy may be available if you have a diagnosed and documented disability. This exemption is only available to students with diagnoses that rise to the level of being considered a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. There are several steps involved in this process and you are not allowed to bring your animal to campus until you have successfully completed all of these steps and received an approval letter from the Accessibility Resource Center.

Please be informed that an animal is considered a pet until it has been approved as an emotional support animal by the University. Upon a successful review of all submitted documentation, you will receive an accommodation letter from the ARC. The Director of Housing and Residence Life will also receive a copy of your accommodation letter stating that you have been granted an exemption from University pet policy and that you will have an emotional support animal living with you in your place of residence on campus.

If you have any questions about these procedures, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center by emailing


How do I qualify for accommodations?2023-09-08T14:47:59-05:00

To be eligible for accommodations, provide typed documentation from a qualified professional on the nature and impact of the disability. Information should include test results/report, functional effects of the disability and/or medication, and recommendations.

To register with the ARC, you must submit appropriate documentation from a qualified health care practitioner as well as the ARC intake form. Guidelines for documentation requirements can be found here.

Once received, your request will be reviewed and assigned to the appropriate Access Specialist. The Access Specialist will contact you via the email address you included on your application. Your Missouri Western email address is preferable if you are a current student. During the intake, appropriate accommodations will be discussed based on your specific situation.

How do I receive accommodations?2023-09-08T14:53:18-05:00

At your intake, you and the ARC staff will agree on the eligible accommodations and they will be authorized during that meeting. You will receive a letter indicating the accommodations needed and will be required to send the accommodation letter to each course instructor. An accommodation request must be completed for each class for which accommodations are needed. Notices are generated to instructors from the system, and at that point you should follow up directly with each instructor to discuss your accommodations and how they will be implemented in the classroom and/or during exams.


We collaborate with instructors to remove barriers that would otherwise prevent students with disabilities from having equal access to the course examination process. Whenever possible, it is best for students to take their exams in the classroom so they have direct access to their instructors during the exam. However, the classroom may not be the best environment for students with certain types of disabilities. The Griffon Testing Center (GTC) located in Eder 208 was specifically designed to meet the needs of students who typically encounter barriers within the traditional classroom setting. In the GTC, we control noise and distractions and we have accessible desks as well as computer hardware and software available to meet the needs of a variety of students.

If a student chooses to take their exam in the GTC, the instructor will need to complete a Testing Services Request Form. The GTC is open 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Completed exams will be stored in a secure location with the Counseling Center in Eder 203. If you have any questions about the Griffon Testing Center, please contact our Testing Coordinator, Lindsey Smith, at