As I am writing this letter to you, our world has become surreal. We are asked to stay in our homes and only venture out for necessities in an effort to decrease the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. I miss my colleagues and the vibrancy of having students on campus. So much has changed over the past few weeks. It is my prayer that by the time you read this in May, things will have returned to a new normal.

Although things may seem bleak as I write this, there are really so many new and exciting changes taking place at Missouri Western, that I can help but have hope. First of all, I am so happy to assume the new role of Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving for my alma mater!

My love for my alma mater began when I first enrolled as a nontraditional student and continues long after my graduation in 2000. I remember Dr. Janet Murphy gave the commencement speech, but I don’t remember what she said. I was too excited to have my family there and was ready to get to my graduation party to celebrate with them.

I worked in the University Advancement division as a student employee and then as a full-time staff member in various roles over the years, even spending nearly two years as executive administrative associate to the president and most recently as director of development.

My years in Development have afforded me the opportunity to hear from alumni about their experiences at Missouri Western. Most who were on campus in the early years comment on the number of trees there are currently and how cold it was to trek across campus to class during those days.

But more importantly, alumni relay countless stories about how professors took them under their wing and how they attribute their success to those caring professors.

Many changes are on the horizon for the Alumni Association, including the establishment of a new Alumni Center that is now located in Spratt Hall, room 105. Please stop by and visit us.  I would love to hear your stories about your experiences as a Griffon and share mine with you, as well.

You will notice that our alumni events will now focus on student recruitment, retention, advocacy and giving back, because our future depends on our investment in our current and future students. We want to see the University not only grow, but thrive and increase in reputation. When this happens, our degree becomes even more meaningful.

If you would like to be a part of our efforts, please email me at weddle@missouriwestern.edu or mwalumni@missouriwestern.edu. We are always looking for volunteers to help us carry out the important mission of supporting our students and making connections with other Griffons.

Thank you and Go Griffs!

Kim Weddle ’00
Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving