Academic Advising

Missouri Western offers academic advising services for all of its Early College Academy students.

Academic advising is an important tool that can help prospective college students save money, save time, increase academic success, and provide career guidance.

Meeting with an academic advisor can help ensure that you are taking the appropriate Early College Academy courses for your particular educational path. Selecting the correct courses for Early College Academy not only can save you time and money, but it can provide peace of mind that you are on the right path to reaching your goals.

Our academic advising services are available to ALL Early College Academy students, regardless of whether or not you make Missouri Western your future college choice. If you plan to attend another institution following high school graduation, we can provide you with the tools and resources necessary for Early College Academy transfer equivalencies.

If you would like to schedule an academic advising appointment, please contact us.

Dropping or Withdrawing From a Course

Please visit the withdrawal page for more information.

Complete Withdrawal Instructions

Course Withdrawal Instructions

G Number

The first time a student is enrolled in a course (either credit or non-credit), he/she is issued a student ID number, which is referred to as a G number. Once a student is enrolled in a dual credit/dual enrollment class, the G number is sent to the dual credit/dual enrollment teacher who, in turn, provides the information to the student. The G number is located in the upper right portion of the student bill.

Ordering Transcripts

Cost: $10.00 per copy (due when transcript request is submitted). Transcripts will not be released if a debt exists with the university.


  • Missouri Western State University offers transcript ordering online through the National Student Clearinghouse. The link for this site, as well as information on procedures, cost and delivery methods can be found on the Registrar’s Office website: Transcript Requests
  • For questions about the transcript request process, please call (816) 271-4211.

Math Placement Exam

A passing score on the math placement exam may be used as an alternate qualifier for MAT112 Finite Mathematics, MAT116 College Algebra, MAT119 Trigonometry or CHE111 General Chemistry.

STEP 1: Registering for the exam

If you already have a MWSU student ID (G) number, you can access study materials and the practice exam at  If you do not know your G number, please contact the ECA office at 816-271-4121.

If you do not have a G number, you will need to create an account through the Early College Academy Slate registration portal (use the gold Register button at the top of this page).  After creating your account, your G number is issued within 1-2 business days.  You can obtain your G number by logging back in to your ECA Slate registration portal (Returning Students), where your G number will be displayed.  An email with the G number will also be sent to the personal address that you provided in the ECA Slate registration portal.

Once you have your G number, you can access the Mathematics Placement Exam Topic List, the unproctored Sample Mathematics Placement Exam, and the proctored Math Placement Exam Appointment Request  at

When you are logging in to access the materials, you will use your G number for your username and your birth month in two digits and birth date in two digits for your password (mm/dd).

STEP 2: Taking the exam

Please note that the exam can instead be proctored at your high school by an instructor, counselor, or administrator that is registered to do so through Missouri Western’s ECA. If you are an instructor, counselor, or administrator interested in proctoring an exam, please email for more information.

STEP 3: Obtaining your exam results

Your exam results will be sent to your email address. If you have not activated your Missouri Western account, you will need to receive your score from the high school instructor, counselor, or administrator that proctored the exam.

Additional information:

  • You may view instructional videos and complete electronic sample problems or worksheet problems for any of the 12 topics that you feel you need to work on. Just click on the topic, then the help page, and you will see all resources for that topic.
  • You may complete the proctored math placement exam multiple times; however, you cannot take the exam more than 1 time per week.

Please be sure to have your login and password when you take the exam.

Student Benefits

Dual credit/dual enrollment students are considered Missouri Western State University students:

  • Students are eligible for a Griffon Card, the Missouri Western student ID card.
  • Students may use and borrow materials from the Missouri Western library.
  • Students may attend cultural and athletic events at the Missouri Western student rate, which is usually free.
  • Students may use the Baker Family Fitness Center and recreational facilities at no charge.
  • Students receive a Missouri Western parking permit.
  • Students receive a free Missouri Western t-shirt.
  • Students may use the Center for Academic Support.
  • Students are eligible for discounts throughout the community with their Griffon Card.

Dual credit/dual enrollment courses help prepare students for the rigors of university classes.

They enrich and extend the high school curriculum, provide introductory college coursework at about half the cost of college tuition, challenge students and introduce students to the university.

In addition, they allow students to complete required general education courses and electives.

Each course provides multiple assessments throughout and awards college credit immediately upon successful completion of the class.

Dual credit/dual enrollment students may enroll in up to 18 hours of college coursework per semester. There is no limit on the number of dual credit/dual enrollment courses that Missouri Western will accept from matriculating students.

Student Eligibility Information

High schools students are eligible for ECA enrollment if they meet the following criteria:

9th Grade
• Overall minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
• Score at the 90th percentile or above on the ACT or SAT
• Counselor or Principal approval/consent
• Parent or legal guardian approval/consent

10th Grade
• Overall minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
• Counselor or Principal approval/consent
• Parent or legal guardian approval/consent

11th and 12th Grades with an overall grade point average between 2.5 – 2.99 (on a 4.0 scale)
• Counselor or Principal approval/consent
• Parent or legal guardian approval/consent

11th and 12th Grades with an overall minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
are automatically eligible for dual credit/dual enrollment courses.

For the following courses, student must meet the ACT, ACT Residual or placement exam prerequisite:

  • ENG104 College Writing and Rhetoric
    English ACT score of 18 OR a passing score on the Writing Placement Exam OR a 6 semester overall GPA of 3.0 or higher  
  • MAT116 College Algebra
    ACT math score of 22 or passing score on the Math Placement Examination
  • MAT119 Trigonometry
    ACT math score of 22 or passing score on the Math Placement Examination
  • MAT132 Elementary Statistics
    Grade of C or better in MAT116
  • MAT167 Calculus
    ACT math score of 25, or grade of C or better in MAT116 and MAT119
  • CHE111 General Chemistry
    ACT math score of 22

At the time of enrollment, students must provide a high school transcript verifying the cumulative GPA based on a 4.0 GPA.

Rights and Responsibilities

Dual credit/dual enrollment students have the same rights and responsibilities as on-campus students. Information on rights and responsibilities can be located in the University Catalog and the Student Handbook.

Transferring Credit To Another Institution

If you wish to transfer your Missouri Western dual credit/dual enrollment course to another institution, please note that any institution that accepts regular Missouri Western credit for transfer should accept Missouri Western dual credit/dual enrollment coursework.

For specific information regarding the transferability of Missouri Western dual credit/dual enrollment coursework, please contact the school to which you will be transferring the credit.


FERPA regulations require that once the student is enrolled in college coursework, all communication from Missouri Western be with the student. The student may complete a Federal Buckley Amendment Release form granting Missouri Western permission to communicate with a designated individual.

The student will attend classes without the accompaniment of a parent or guardian. Requests for exemption from this release form policy (e.g., due to specific disabilities) should be sent to the Early College Academy. The release form can be obtained by calling (816) 271-4121.

*In the case of homeschooled students, the required recommendation is from the homeschool proctor.

Mother and teenage son using laptop