Last week, Alicia Otto and I attended a two-day seminar on social media marketing strategies. Neither one of us were convinced that this topic would take two days – a two-hour webinar, maybe – but two days, probably not. So, there we were, locked in a small local hotel conference room with representatives from the American Angus Association, Northwest Missouri State and St. Joseph PD. We’d paid our money and we were going to learn something. And learn we did.
One suggestion (it was really more than a suggestion) was to start a blog. I was unconvinced. What would we write about? Alicia said we should call it “This Week in the Alumni Office” and discuss what we do. Maybe, she continued, we even let alumni take over once in a while.
And so, here it is, the first edition. We’ll talk about what we do and you’ll meet the office team. We might discuss topics like:
- Are RSVPs a thing of the past or does society have a fear of commitment?
- What’s Homecoming all about?
- How to get the most out of your free Alumni Association membership
- Solving the mystery of alumni board appointments (and who’s on the board anyway)
- What the heck we do all day (you can bet Vice-President for University Advancement, Jerry Pickman will be tuned in that week)
- And, we may even let alumni take over once in a while.
I hope you were following our Facebook page this weekend and shared your stories of Drs. Looney, Murphy, Scanlon and Vartabedian. This week, the University plays host to three candidates who are all vying to be the fifth president of Missouri Western. As you probably know, Dr. Vartabedian announced his retirement late last summer. His last day will be June 30. Click here to learn more about the candidates: Presidential Search
Also this week, the women’s basketball team will play in the MIAA tournament in Kansas City. Their first game is on Wednesday at 6 pm in Municipal Auditorium. Join us at Leinenkugel’s in the Power and Light District at 3 pm for a pregame rally.
Until next week, see our website to learn more about alumni events and opportunities.