Garrett Jackson
GIVE NOW
Garrett Jackson
GIVE NOW

GRIFFONS BUILD

I have seen that education both is and paves the way for experience and opportunity. This begs the question, how many ways are there to be educated? This question is akin to asking how many variables are in constructing a building. I may not know the exact answer, but I do know that both are important questions to consider and I have seen that Missouri Western State University has given thought to them both. MWSU wants to provide its students with as many opportunities to learn as possible, and there is no exception to that in the Engineering Technology Department.

Applied learning is a critical source of education for any field, and MWSU does its fair share in ensuring that students walk away with hands-on experience to better understand their career field, as well as the fields surrounding them. I have received opportunities to perform break tests on concrete, wire a three-way switch, and survey the land around Wilson Hall; as well as go on tours of structural steel galvanizing facilities, manufacturing plants, and local construction sites. I have experienced a small taste of what it means to do the structural calculations for buildings, draft parts, estimate projects, and what it takes to deal with the contracts and project management the construction industry can bring. Most importantly, MWSU gave me the opportunity to become an intern at Midland Steel Company where I have learned so much about the structural steel fabrication industry. My time there has absolutely been relevant to my education at MWSU.

I would not be here were it not for my father and mother of course. My father graduated in the spring of 2020 with the same degree I am pursuing, Construction Engineering Technology. My mother graduated in 2016 with a degree in Criminal Justice. I also have several cousins, uncles, and my grandmother to give credit to as they reinforced that MWSU is a local place to go and receive a quality education.

However, Missouri Western is not simply a place to go to class and then return home again. No, rather it is a community that wants students to be involved in making itself better. During my time as the Student Governor, I have learned all the more that asking questions is extremely important. Feedback is important. Ensuring that your voice is heard in a proper setting is important. I have seen the improvements made because of such feedback, and I want to do my part to see that continue. The ability for students to be involved on campus, wherever that may be, is yet another avenue of education.

I am very happy with my choice of University. So much so that I intend to continue my education here in the coming semester to earn my MBA, and I know that MWSU will hold up its end of the measuring tape. I am grateful to be part of the Griffon family, and I hope that many more will join me in growing as people for the benefit of those around them.