This course provides degree-seeking students with an array of opportunities to engage in an immersive community service-learning experience. Working with community partners, students will complete specific projects and volunteer activities tailored to their schedule and interests.
On successful completion of 40 hours of verified and pre-approved service, and completion of reflection requirements, students will receive one (1) credit hour of general elective credit toward graduation at no cost. Once course requirements have been completed, the Center for Service (CFS) will submit verification to post credit on the student’s transcript. UNV 201 is repeatable for up to three (3) credit hours toward graduation. Students may begin volunteer service at any point throughout the year but must schedule a time to meet with the Center for Service for an intake and orientation prior to volunteer service.
Student Learning Outcomes
● Identify community issues, needs, problems, strengths and resources
● Recognize the value of service and social responsibility
● Demonstrate the ability to work with diverse populations
● Formulate more precise personal and professional life goals
● Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with others
● Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, follow directions, lead, and solve problems