Apply Today!

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions2020-06-02T15:28:15+00:00
What are requirements related to COVID?2020-08-18T15:55:09+00:00
  • As the situation with COVID-19  changes, we will continue to adapt the University’s plan for reopening this fall for face-to-face classes. Beginning August 10, face coverings are required in all indoor public spaces.
  • If you have questions about projects related to COVID, please contact the Center for Service
  • For campus updates, alerts and  information visit:
How do I enroll in UNV201 Community Service Learning?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00
  • Sign up for service on the CFS webpage at; visit the CFS in Eder Hall 202; or speak with your advisor about how this fits in your schedule.
  • Even though you are engaged in service through the CFS, UNV201 will not appear on your transcript until you have completed the 40 hours of service and 5 hours of orientation, reflection, and debriefing session.
  • Projects will be available beginning Fall 2020.
Graduate Students: How do I enroll in UNV501 Community Service Learning?2020-08-18T15:55:34+00:00
  • Graduate students must obtain approval from the dean or graduate advisor to determine eligibility for UNV501. Approval will need to be sent to confirming eligibility for the general elective UNV501.
  • For additional details about UNV501, please contact the Center for Service in Eder 202.
What is the maximum number of credits I can earn?2020-09-28T19:59:36+00:00
  • Three (3) Credits
  • 120 Hours of service = three (3) credits of UNV201/UNV501 (orientation, reflection activity, and debriefing are also required for each credit)
What if I only need 1-2 credits? Do I have to complete 120 hours of service?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

No. Each credit is awarded after 40 hours of service (up to three (3) credits or 120 hours of service.) There is no need to complete service hours beyond those required for each individual credit. However, service for each credit must be completed within a calendar year. For example: if you begin service for one (1) credit in November of 2020 (Fall Semester) you must have 40 hours completed by the end of Fall semester 2021.

Do I enroll in all three (3) credits at once?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00
  • No. Students are not enrolled up front. Instead, each credit must be completed, verified, and awarded before beginning the next credit. Up to three (3) credits may be awarded.
Do I have to take a test for Center for Service credit?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

No. No tests are required. After completing 40 verified hours of service, reflection activities and debriefing with the CFS, credit will be awarded.

Do I have to declare a major to get credit for service?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

No. Service credits are awarded only to degree-seeking students, but you do not have to have declared your major to start serving.

What if I change my major? Will my credit transfer to the new major?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

UNV201 is a general elective (not an elective within your major) and all undergraduates have choices for a variety of electives. It will transfer as a general elective.

When does UNV201/501 show up on my transcript?2020-09-28T20:00:20+00:00

Each time you choose a project from the CFS and serve, those hours are counted. Service for each credit must be completed within a calendar year. At the completion of 40 hours of service and other required activities, the Center for Service will submit information to award a credit for UNV201/501. Each credit (up to three (3)) will be noted on the transcript.

When do my service credits show on my transcript?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

After credit for service is awarded, completion of one (1) credit hour will be noted on the transcript. Your transcript will denote up to three (3) credits in UNV201 Community Service Learning.

When I serve in the community, when do I get my credit at no cost?2020-09-28T20:02:53+00:00

After serving 40 verified hours on validated projects with an approved agency/partner and completing five (5) hours orientation, reflection and debriefing session, you will be awarded one (1) credit at no cost. Prior approval of all service projects are required.

Will UNV201/UNV501 count as an elective for my major?2020-09-28T20:01:17+00:00

Although UNV201/UNV501 will count as a general elective for degree-seeking students, it will not count as part of courses required for a major at the current time.

Will my credit for service transfer to another University?2020-09-28T20:01:42+00:00

That question should be at the top of your list when you visit with an advisor at the new university. Missouri Western cannot guarantee that UNV201/UNV501 will transfer to another university. Students should direct questions regarding transferring the credit to the institution to which he or she will transfer.

Will UNV201/UNV501 substitute for my internship requirement for my major? Will the credit at no cost apply to my internship?2020-09-28T20:02:08+00:00

No. UNV201/UNV501 will be counted as a general elective toward a degree. Service may not overlap a major program requirement such as an internship. Internships are not free credit.

Do I self-select by signing up on the CFS webpage or work with my advisor?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00
  • Yes. You may indicate your interest in service learning on the webpage by selecting the Student tab at
  • It’s important to inform your advisor that you are participating in the service learning opportunities, but you may proceed independently.
What tasks do I have to complete to get credit for my service?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

Go to, complete the student form, visit the Center for Service in Eder Hall 202, complete the orientation for service learning, choose a service opportunity from among validated projects, complete 40 hours of verified service and finish with a reflection activity and debriefing that are required prior to awarding of credit.

Where do I keep a log of my hours?2020-09-28T20:10:18+00:00

There is an optional spreadsheet log that can be found in the orientation documents on the website under the For Students tab. Additionally, the service platform keeps a running log of verified service hours. This will be important as a record of service over time and may inform your resume and interviews in the future.

I want to volunteer in my hometown. How do I get that approved?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

You may serve in your hometown. Contact the CFS in Eder Hall 202 for project approval.

After I complete 120 hours of service and receive three (3) credits at no cost, may I continue to serve?2020-05-21T16:30:18+00:00

Yes. We encourage continued service, but you will not receive credit for that service. The advantage to you will be to build applied learning experiences through service and add those experiences to your resume upon graduation and for your career search.