The Department of Art offers a four-year Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree in Graphic Design.
Graphic designers plan, analyze, and create visual solutions to communications problems. They decide the most effective way of getting a message across in print, electronic, and film media using a variety of methods such as color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and layout techniques.
A bachelor’s degree is required for most entry-level and advanced graphic design positions.
All Graphic Design majors complete internships at businesses, design firms, advertising agencies and organizations to gain practical experience in their field before they graduate. Internships offered in the student’s final year, advance the educational process by extending the curriculum into the business world. Students have the opportunity to pursue internships on-campus, locally, regionally, and nationally. The following list contains just a few of the internship experiences our students have completed and that local businesses and organizations have employed interns at:
- Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art
- C3 Creative Concepts International
- Callahan Creek Marketing Agency
- Discover The Phoenix Region Magazine
- EmpowerU Campus, Heartland Foundation
- Pipeline Productions
- Saint Joseph Museums
- Stormfront Productions
- TOMS Shoes (Creative)
- The Pitch, Kansas City
- Sandlot Stategic
- Sporting KC
- Meredith Corporation
Graphic Designers can be employed by large or small advertising agencies, design firms, publishers, in-house creative departments, and on a freelance basis. Type of work includes logo and brand development, advertising campaigns, environmental graphics, layout and production of magazines, journals, corporate reports, websites, phone apps, and other publications. The following is a partial list of businesses and corporations where MWSU graphic design graduates have secured employment.
- VML – (Art Director)
- Barkley (Studio Artist, Studio Designer, Photo Retoucher)
- The Sandbox Agency (Director of Brand Activation)
- Sandlot + Co (Designer)
- Common Era Collective (Designer)
- Bicmedia (Art Director)
- Design Ranch (Designer, Illustrator)
- FanThreeSixty (Graphic Designer)
- Charter Communications (Product Designer)
- Populous – (Graphic Designer and Associate)
- Hallmark – (Off Site Specialist, Graphic Designer)
- Kansas City Ballet (Marketing Coordinator, Graphic Designer)
- Ashley Cameron Design (Owner, Designer, Front End Developer)
- Missouri Western State University (Graphic Arts Coordinator)
- Missouri Western State University (Web/Graphic Designer)
- Missouri Western State University (Marketing Coordinator)
- Benedictine College (Graphic Designer)
- University of St. Marys (Creative Manager)
- Cardwell Creative (Graphic Designer)
- 40 Digits (Interactive Designer)
- Uhling (Graphic Designer)
- Element, LLC (Graphic Designer)
- Sporting Kansas City (Designer)
- Missouri Lawyers Media (Graphic Designer)
- City of St. Joseph (Communications Specialist)
- Union Station (Graphic Designer)
- Advisors Excel (Graphic Designer)
- Lockton (Content Design Specialist)
- Turn The Page Online Marketing – (Senior Art Director)
- Summit Publications (Creative Director, Graphic Designer)
Graphic Design (Bachelor of Fine Arts, B.F.A.)
|ART 110||Beginning Drawing I||3|
|ART 120||Two-Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 130||Introduction to Tools and Techniques||2|
|ART 140||Ceramics I||3|
|or ART 379||Sculpture I|
|ART 160||Beginning Drawing II||3|
|ART 170||Three-Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 205||Survey of Art History I||3|
|ART 229||Design Software Applications||3|
|ART 250||Motion Graphics||3|
|or ART 388||Interactive Design II|
|ART 255||Survey of Art History II||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|ART 315||Illustration I||3|
|ART 329||Graphic Design I||3|
|ART 339||Printmaking I||3|
|ART 349||Interactive Design I||3|
|ART 359||Photography I||3|
|ART 369||Painting I||3|
|ART 395||Graphic Design II||3|
|ART 488||Final Portfolio||3|
|ART 492||Graphic Design III||3|
|ART 493||Internship In Art||3|
|ART 494||Senior Seminar and Exhibit||1|
|ART 495||Graphic Design IV||3|
|Select three additional credit hours in guided art elective||3|
|Select six additional credit hours of Art History||6|
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Earn a grade of C or higher in all major coursework.
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.
Are you ready to declare this major or minor? Download, sign and submit the form(s) to the Art Department.
- Major: B.F.A. Graphic Design
Grade of C or higher must be earned in all classes required of the major.