Apply Today!


Is it possible to dual major in art?2018-02-13T22:17:21-06:00

Yes, it is possible. It is not uncommon to see students dual major in two areas like Graphic Design and Digital Animation.

When are we allowed to work in the studio?2018-10-31T20:38:36-05:00

Missouri Western State University (MWSU) normal working hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Use of MWSU art facilities at any other time is restricted to students who have a building pass.

How can I get a night and weekend pass?2020-06-11T14:43:39-05:00

Request forms for passes can be obtained in the Art Office – Potter 103.

How can I get a locker?2020-06-11T14:44:02-05:00

Locker request forms can be obtained in the Art Office – Potter 103.

Who is my advisor?2020-06-11T14:44:46-05:00

All art students are advised by their professor in charge of their particular focus:

Art Education – Dr. Madeline Rislow
Art History – Dr. Madeline Rislow
Art Therapy – David Harris
Studio Art – David Harris
Digital Animation – Pete Hriso
Graphic Design – Junior/Senior Teresa Harris
Graphic Design – Freshmen Matt Hepworth
Honors – Rebecca Foley

What special facilities do you have for art students?2020-06-11T14:47:19-05:00

Potter Hall contains painting, ceramic, photography, sculpture and printmaking studios, along with a foundry and an art gallery and a small art library. We currently have:

– 10 Cintiq monitors in Potter 200
– 27 iMacs in Potter 204 and Potter hallway
– 26 Mac Pros in Potter 200 and Potter hallway
– Access to 24 iMacs in Eder 200
– Access to 21-24 PCs in Popplewell 108

What software is installed in the Mac labs?2022-05-17T15:41:53-05:00

The Mac lab computers include the latest design software: Autodesk Maya, Adobe Creative Cloud Collection (After Effects, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, XD, Animate and more), Mudbox, Final Cut Pro X, UNITY game engine, V-Ray, and Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers. We also have 3 Microtec large bed scanners and 5 Epson large format printers.

What is the best format for submitting my art work for a scholarship?2018-02-13T22:11:32-06:00

Portfolio work may be submitted in the original format. The preferred format for time-based work would be Quicktime files, accessible on a Apple computer. Other work can be viewed in almost any format, including original formats, drawings, paintings, ceramic work, videos and websites.

What studio areas of focus do you offer?2020-06-11T14:46:54-05:00

We offer a B.F.A. in Graphic Design or Digital Animation.  All students are required to take 9 hours of Foundations before selecting their focus. Students are able to personalize their education by selecting Electives in other disciplines outside their discipline focus, if they choose.

What else can I study besides applied art?2020-06-11T14:48:12-05:00

We have a minor in Art History that will ready you for graduate school in Art History, Museum Studies or related work.

What is the student to teacher ratio in art classes?2020-06-11T14:48:46-05:00

Our student to teacher ratio in class is 25 to 1 at a maximum, with some classes offering as low as a 10 to 1 ratio. Students attending a studio class can expect a lower student to teacher ratio in the studio environment.

What are the best classes to take during the first year of study?2022-05-17T16:13:46-05:00

We encourage art majors to take a variety of 100 level studio courses in the first year. A studio major must take their Beginning Drawing, 2-D and 3-D Foundations course before the end of the sophomore year.

Semester 1
ART 110 Beginning Drawing I
ART 120 Two-dimensional Art
ART129 Design Software Applications
Math and English (required)
TOTAL 14 hours

Semester 2
ART 160 Beginning Drawing II
ART 170 Three-dimensional Art
English (required)
General Education Elective
TOTAL 12 Hours

When do I need to declare my major?2020-06-11T14:49:21-05:00

If you are thinking of majoring in art you need to sign a major form with the chair as soon as possible within the first few weeks that you enter into the university. The chair will help you decide which degree best fits the requirement of what you want to do though conversation in his office. You may always change your major. However, having a signed, major form filed in the office will get your paperwork in one area and will give you an advisor in your chosen field. Do this as soon as possible your first semester here with us.