Griffon Hall has been renamed Vartabedian Hall in honor of Drs. Robert and Laurel Vartabedian. Dr. Robert Vartabedian retired in June 2019 after 11 years as Missouri Western’s president.

“Getting to know Dr. Vartabedian in the five years I’ve been on the board has been a real blessing for me,” said David Liechti, chair of the Board of Governors. “He and Laurel have been very engaged in the community, and I think they’ve made a great team. I know all of the board members join me in thanking them both, and I’m pleased we could honor them in this way.”

Vartabedian Hall was one of the construction projects on campus during Dr. Vartabedian’s tenure as president, opening to students in 2011. It is Missouri Western’s only apartment-style residence hall, housing 240 students. Each suite houses four students in four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a shared living area.

The board also honored Dr. Vartabedian with the title of “President Emeritus” and presented him with a wooden office chair engraved with his name, years of service and the University Seal.