https://www.missouriwestern.edu/magazine/wp-content/uploads/sites/133/2018/09/Jim-Jeffers-Picture.jpg

James Jeffers ’73

Dear Fellow Alumni,

After a winning season for our football team, we thought we had enjoyed our last game. A short time later, we received great news that the Griffons had been invited to a postseason bowl game. A small but spirited group made the trip on Dec. 1 to Texarkana, Arkansas to the “Agent Barry Live United Bowl.” It was a great weekend. The tailgate barbeque was terrific and best of all, we won the game! Thanks to all who made the trip.

I also enjoyed attending the 2019 Martin Luther King, Jr. banquet in January. Thanks to Latoya Muhammad for a fine evening, and congratulations to those receiving the Drum Major for Justice Awards this year.

Congratulations to Tom Smith on the dedication of the Tom Smith Court in the Looney fieldhouse in February. We thank you for your dedication to Missouri Western.

As you can see, there is always something going on at Missouri Western! Several alumni events were held in the spring and planned for summer, including Future Griffs at the Chocolate Factory and the Griffons Untapped at the new River Bluff Brewing in St. Joseph. There are many other events in the works, so stay tuned. This is shaping up to be a great year to be a Griffon!

As you may know, Dr. Robert Vartabedian, Missouri Western’s president, is leaving in June. Thank you, Dr. Vartabedian for a great 11 years. You have been a tremendous asset to our alumni and we wish you well in your retirement.

Finally, it’s hard to believe my year is coming to a close soon. I want to thank a few people who made my year a success: Colleen Kowich, director of Alumni Relations, Diane Holtz, magazine editor, and Alicia Otto, who is a silent hero on our alumni team.

I want to remind everyone to come out and support your Missouri Western. Come to a game, a show, take a class, or just walk across the beautiful campus. I’ll be here and I hope to see you!

Again, I welcome your feedback and/or involvement in the Alumni Association. Please reach out to me personally if you like at (816) 390-1605 or jimjeffers25@gmail.com.

With Griffon Pride,

James D. Jeffers ’73
President, Alumni Association