Lauren K. Scanlon, of Pine Knoll Shores, North Carolina, passed away June 26, 2015 at Crystal Coast Hospice House.

Lauren is survived by her husband, James, who was Missouri Western’s president from 2001-2008; son, Blake, and daughter-in-law, Ellen Ault Scanlon, of San Francisco; and grandson William Lucas Scanlon.

In an interview when she was at Missouri Western, Lauren said as a university president’s wife, she liked to stay in the background and play a supportive role. “I’m here to make Jim’s life easier,” she said. “His job is a very demanding job. I think I provide balance to that.”

At the time he retired, Dr. Jim Scanlon said, “Lauren is an extraordinary person. She is perpetually encouraging and optimistic, and her enthusiasm for what we’re about here has been inspiring to me.”

In July, Drs. Robert and Laurel Vartabedian established the President’s Legacy Scholarship with a $5,000 gift. The scholarship is in memory of Dorsey Looney, wife of Dr. M.O. Looney, president from 1967-1983; and Lauren Scanlon. It will be for nontraditional students, and recipients will be selected by the Missouri Western Ambassadors Scholarship Committee.

Carlos and Carol Moya donated $2,000 to the scholarship fund in hopes that at least $10,000 will be raised so that the scholarship can be endowed.