If you have the passion and drive to own your own business, this unique course is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for.
Missouri Western’s unique partnership with Steven L. Craig, CEO of Craig Realty Group, and various franchisors has enabled us to create opportunities for our students and alumni to own a franchise.
The semester-long, applied learning course provides the chance for graduating students and alumni to dive deep into the skills and strategies required to own their own business. While the course fulfills a graduating student’s applied learning requirement, it also allows them to compete for ownership of a franchise. At the completion of the course, students may present their business plan, from the applied business ownership course, to a panel of judges. The panel determines if the student will be awarded a franchise opportunity. The program has franchise opportunities with Auntie Anne’s, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, Flip Flop Shops and more. Since its inception in 2009, graduates of the course have opened more than 30 stores across the country.
- MWSU seniors with a business or entrepreneurship major or minor
- Minimum GPA 2.5
- MWSU alumni with a business or entrepreneurship major or minor or significant business experience
- Candidates enroll in the Applied Business Ownership class, MGT 417, offered every spring at MWSU, and write a business plan for a company.
- Candidates present their business plans in a preliminary competition held toward the end of the semester. A panel of judges identifies the finalists who can revise their plans before presenting them in the final competition.
- By the end of the semester, franchise opportunities to be awarded are identified.
- Winners attend franchise training
- Financial documents with the lender are signed, as are documents with the Craig School of Business and MWSU
- Owners open their stores!!
- CSB provides continued support for store owners
Center for Franchise Development