The Masters of Applied Science degree in Sport and Fitness management prepares students for careers that lead to managerial and administrative positions in sport and fitness management. We provide applied learning experiences, inspire/develop critical thinking, and educate students about leadership, management, and ethical decision making within the Sport and Fitness Industry.
Master of Applied Science in Sport and Fitness Management is a comprehensive program that prepares students to assume supervisory and administrative positions in facility and event management, college athletics, professional sports organizations, non-profit agencies, public/private/corporate fitness facilities, cardiac rehabilitation and community based/amateur athletic programs. Included in this program are:
- 18 hours of graduate core courses
- 15-18 hours of MAS Sport & Fitness Management concentration
- Graduate Internship OR Thesis option
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in Health, Sport Management, or a closely related discipline.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75
- Application reviewed and approved by the MAS Sport & Fitness Management Graduate Admission Committee
Students who are accepted to this degree program will have no more than 6 years from admission or subsequent declaration to meet the requirements listed below. If certification, accreditation or statutory requirements change and additional requirements become effective during this time, the new requirements take precedence.
|MGT 603||Organizational Theory||3|
|or MGT 604||Organizational Behavior Management|
|MKT 605||Strategic Marketing||3|
|Professional Skills - Select two courses from the following (6 credits)||6|
|Foundations of Finance and Accounting|
|Social Media Branding|
|Proposal and Grant Writing|
|Writing for Management and Supervision|
|Technical Analysis for Decision Making|
|Foundations of Professional Ethics|
|SFM 525||Legal Aspects of Sport and Fitness||3|
|SFM 542||Facilities and Design Management||3|
|SFM 610||Leadership and Effectiveness in Sport and Fitness Management||3|
|SFM 651||Research Methods||3|
|SFM 674||Psychology of Performance and Motivation in Sport and Fitness Management||3|
|or SFM 655||Thesis|
|Total Credit Hours||30-33|
Program Graduation Requirement
- Earn a minimum overall GPA of 3.0, with no more than 6 credit hours of C in all required coursework.
University Graduation Requirements
- Satisfactorily complete all required coursework in the program;
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours;
- Satisfactorily complete the required capstone experience.