The Missouri Western State University Teacher Education Program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). In October 2022, the Department of Education at Missouri Western State University was granted Accreditation at the initial licensure level with no stipulations or areas for improvement. This Accreditation status is effective between Fall 2022 and Fall 2029. The next site visit will take place in Spring 2029.
The Department of Education offers accredited programs for Initial Licensure in the following areas:
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- K-12 Special Education (New in Fall 2019!)
- Secondary Education (9-12 & K-12; see link here https://www.missouriwestern.edu/education/secondary-education/ for list of degrees)
The Department of Education offers Missouri DESE approved additional “add-on” licensures in the following areas:
- Early Childhood-Special Education (birth to grade 3);
- Early Childhood Education (birth to grade 3);
- Special Reading (K-12); and
- English Language Learners (ELL) (K-12).
All degree programs satisfy the appropriate requirements for teacher certiﬁcation as established by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
To be certiﬁed to teach, students must fulﬁll all degree requirements, achieve a passing score on the appropriate Content Area Assessment as mandated by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and according to section 168.031 of the Missouri School Laws, present evidence of good moral character.