Emotional Support Groups:
- Mourning Star: (Loss of a Child Support Group)
Green Valley Baptist Church
3110 Cook Rd.
St. Joseph, MO 64506
First Wednesday of the month from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.,
Contact: Janis Consolver at 816-596-0123 and Kristina Kelley.
- Grief & Loss Support: Open to anyone grieving a loss. Call Sister Barb Conroy with Hands of Hope Hospice @ 816-271-7190 before attending.
- Widowed Too Young: For those 60 and younger that have lost a spouse. Call Sister Susan Holmes with Hands of Hope Hospice @ 816-271-7190.
- Out of the Darkness: A group for those who have lost loved ones to suicide, 6:30 pm, Wyatt Park Christian Church, 27th and Mitchell, 232-3374. Meet the 2nd Thursday of each month.
Sexual Assault/Domestic Abuse Support Groups:
Women’s Domestic Violence Support Group (only for women staying at the shelter) YWCA, 232-4481.
Drive Safe, Drive Smart Awareness:
- What is test anxiety
- It’s being so afraid of, or worried about a test, that the performance suffers.
- Effects of test anxiety
- body, such as headache, or stomach upset (butterflies)
- mind, such as feeling panic, anger, depression, or memory lapses
- Some common explanations
- poor study habits
- fearing failure
- comparing yourself to others
- worrying about the future
- How to prepare
- take part in every class
- keep up with assignments
- ask questions if you are confused about a concept, or idea
- take notes, and review them
- talk to your professor early, find out what the format of the test is, or the material that might be presented, or even practice tests
- Make a study plan
- schedule short blocks of study time
- study in a well-lit spot, with no noise
- flash cards, outlines, or charts can help retain information.
By-stander effect: The by-stander effect is when a situation occurs where there is potential harm to an individual, people in groups are less likely to assist, as opposed to a single individual exposed to the situation.
Here are a few videos from YouTube for examples:
Girl being abducted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvGIwLcIuw
Man very sick and in distress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsPfbup0ac&feature=related