International Center

Social Security Card

International students on either F-1 or J-1 visa may work part-time on University campus.  However, before you can apply for a Social Security Card, you MUST first have a job offer from an employer.  Students may apply for part-time employment via the GriffonLink through the Career Development office, Aramark food service, or Barnes and Noble bookstore on-campus.

After you successfully interviewed for the position and received the job offer, please direct your hiring supervisor to fill out the following form

  • This form will allow the International Center to issue a letter that you can take to the Social Security office.  The letter must be signed by your supervisor as well as the International Center Assistant Director, Fumi Cheever.
  • Only supervisors may fill out this form, NOT students.
  • You will be notified when your letter is ready to be picked up.
  • Apply for Social Security Card at the closest SSN Administration office on 1402 North Woodbine Road.
  • Bring letter from International Center Office, your passport, visa, I-20 (or DS-2019) and your I-94 card (if you last came to the U.S. after April 2013, you may need to print an electronic I-94).
  • Do NOT begin work before you receive the social security card.  Even if your supervisor says it is ok to work, it is NOT ok.  If your social security application is pending, you may NOT work.

To apply for a Social Security number:

  1. Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5). You may download the form at;
  2. Show your original documents proving your:
    1. Immigration Status – Bring your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and I-20/DS2019
    2. Work eligibility – Provide evidence of employment (recent pay slip or a letter from your employer). Your supervisor and the international student adviser must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:
      • Your job
      • Employment start date
      • The number of hours you will be working on-campus
      • Name and telephone number of your supervisor
    3. Age – Present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, take your passport with you.
    4. Identity – Your passport and I-94 card will provide identification.

Please note:  All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Bring your completed application form and documents to the SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

Address: 1402 N Woodbine Road, Saint Joseph, MO 64506

Local Number: (816) 233-2511

Office Hours:

Monday:         9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Tuesday:         9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Wednesday:   9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Thursday:       9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Friday:            9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday:  Closed