International Center

Before you Travel Checklist

Before you Travel Checklist:

1- Fill the traveling form (TravelDocument1.docx) and make and appointment with Fumi Matsumoto Cheever, so she can sign your I-20 for overseas travel. You can make the appointment by calling 816-271-5981, or by coming to Blum 210 and scheduling the appointment at the front desk. Please make an appointment  at least one week before your scheduled travel.

2- Make sure that you have paid for all your university and residential bills, so you won’t have any consequences like late fees for not paying on time.

3- During your optional practical training period, it is important to keep International Center office updated on any changes relevant to your immigration status.  For example, change of address, name, OPT termination, change of status, etc.

4- If you live on campus, you need to make sure that your Housing contract for your room is still valid until after you come back from your traveling.  If your Housing contract expires while you are abroad, Residential Life will move your belongings out of your room and you will not have a place to live when you return.

5- Make arrangements and inform the campus police if you will leave your car parked for several days on campus (Blum 201) to avoid any possible penalty fees, or fines.

In order to re-enter the United States after a temporary absence an F-1 or J-1 student should have the following documents:

  • A valid passport.
  • A valid F-1 or J-1 visa (unless exempt from visa requirement).
  • A Form I-20 or DS2019 properly endorsed for travel by the International Center office.

It is also recommended that students have with them:

  • Evidence of financial resources
  • Evidence of student status (recent tuition receipts, transcripts);
  • Name and contact information for the International Center office


For more information, please click the following link: