International Student Services


Congratulations, and welcome!
Register for International Orientation HERE


On behalf of President Robert Vartabedian, and Vice President Shana Meyer, the Office of ISS welcomes you to Missouri Western.  We are delighted of the opportunity to include you in our university community.  These Admitted Student section is intended as a guide in your journey to the United States.  The staffs and professors look forward to meet you in August 2016!

What to bring from home

Bring what you can comfortable carry.  The recommended items are:

  • Some cash around $500 and/or credit card or bank card to get you through the first few days.  For your safety during travel, we do not recommend bringing large amount of cash.
  • Clothing appropriate for the season.  In August, student need clothes for hot, humid weather.  However, winter months require warm coat, gloves, neck scarf, winter hat, and shoes.  Find out the the current temperature in St Joseph, Missouri, USA.
  • Toiletries: travel size shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste.
  • Food: some snacks to have on hand during your flight and until you can go to the dining hall or market.
  • Alarm clock

Also, the following bulky but necessary items may easily be purchased in the city of Saint Joseph.  For example:

  • Bedding (pillow, blanket, bedsheets, etc.), and towels.
  • Laundry basket, and soap/detergent to wash clothes.
  • Clothes: pants, jeans, t-shirt, underclothes, sweater, winter coat, etc.
  • Toiletries: regular size shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste.
  • Office or school supplies: pens, paper, notebook, etc.
  • Computer, laptop, radio, cell/mobile phone, and other electronics.
  • Dishes/cooking utensils, bed, and furniture (for those living off-campus)


Last edited on February 25, 2016.