In 2009, four industry leaders met to discuss the changing needs of the engineering technology industry and how best to help Missouri Western meet them. The result was the creation of a volunteer-driven Engineering Technology Advancement Committee, formed to support Missouri Western’s Department of Engineering Technology.
Members of the ETAC assist with student recruitment, promotion/endorsement of the department and fundraising to offset operational and capital needs. The committee represents four major areas of engineering technology: general building construction; heavy construction; specialty services (i.e., electrical); and support services (i.e., architects, engineers).
The following are the goals of the ETAC:
- Raise funds for scholarships, endowments, specialized equipment and general funding for discretionary use by the department
- Provide internship opportunities to current students
- Make guest speakers available to discuss current industry trends and challenges
- Promote construction-related careers in Northwest Missouri
- Provide funding and support for the student chapter of the Associated General Contractors
Banquet and Awards
Each year, the ETAC holds a banquet to raise funds for the department’s needs. Engineering technology students who attend the banquet have a great opportunity to meet and network with industry leaders.
Two awards are given at the banquet each year: the Engineering Technology Student Excellence Award for a student in the department based on academic excellence, leadership and service; and the Engineering Technology Excellence Award for a community member who has shown outstanding and continuous commitment to advancing the field and supporting Missouri Western’s mission, vision and legacy. Also at the banquet, recipients of the Beavers Heavy Construction Scholarship are honored.