In 2009, four industry leaders met to discuss the changing needs of the engineering technology industry and how best to help Missouri Western to meet them. The result was the creation of a volunteer-driven industry commitment to support Missouri Western’s Department of Engineering Technology by assisting with student recruitment, promotion/endorsement of the department and fund raising to offset operational and capital needs. The committee represents four major areas of engineering technology: General Building Construction; Heavy Construction; Specialty Services (i.e., electrical); and Support Services (i.e., architects, engineers).
The group’s mission is to provide private industry support to the Engineering Technology Department at Missouri Western State University (MWSU). The Advancement Committee will assist MWSU’s Engineering Technology students, faculty, staff, and the community at large in order to promote careers and educational opportunities in the construction industry through the following goals:
- Raise funds for scholarships, endowments, specialized equipment, and general funding for discretionary use by the department
- Provide internship opportunities to current students
- Make guest speakers available to discuss current industry trends and challenges
- Promote construction related careers in NW Missouri
- Provide funding and support for the MWSU Association of General Contractors student chapter