The Missouri Western wordmark, logo, and signatures should be used in accordance with the guidelines established on this site.
- As a federally registered trademark, when the Griffon logo is used alone it must always be accompanied by the circle R symbol (®).
- The logos should not be redrawn or typeset, reproportioned, modified, or embellished in any way.
- When printed, the edges of the logos should be smooth, not jagged.
- Always make sure there is sufficient contrast between the wordmark or logo and its background.
The use of the Missouri Western wordmark is strongly preferred. When using the wordmark in areas where the audience is unfamiliar with the university, the Missouri Western State University wordmark version should be used.
Minimum Size – If you do not have space for the size options, use the Griffon logo alone
Color Variations – The watermark should only appear in Griffon Gold, Black and White.
The Griffon was chosen in 1918 as the mascot/ symbol of St. Joseph Junior College, the institution that later became Missouri Western State University. The mythical creature was selected because it was considered a guardian of riches, and education was viewed as a precious treasure. The Griffon is half lion and half eagle. Its wings are spread in the shape of the state of Missouri.
- A wordmark or logo should be used on all publications.
- When space is limited, the Griffon alone is acceptable with the minimum size is 1/2 inch.
- Do not transpose or change its angle. It must retain its shape of the state of Missouri.
- When using the Griffon alone, the words “Missouri Western State University” or “Missouri Western’’ must appear on the same page or in the same field.
- The Griffon should be black, white or Missouri Western gold. If an exception is needed, permission must be granted by Creative Services.
- Watermarking of the Griffon is acceptable.
- Cropping of Griffon as a graphic element is acceptable.
Units within the University are eligible for individual logos within the wordmark. It is important that Missouri Western is the primary area and the unit is secondary as to not create confusion or inconsistency with Missouri Western’s master brand. All department/unit signatures must be submitted to Creative Services for creation.
These logos may only be used for Griffon Esports. They may not be used for any other program.
Missouri Western’s seal was created in 2005 to recognize its designation as a university. The seal features the Griffon mascot surrounded by Missouri Western’s six values. The outer circle contains Missouri Western’s new name, along with “1915,” the year it was founded as St. Joseph Junior College.The seal was unveiled at a convocation to celebrate university designation in August 2005.
The use of the Missouri Western State University seal as a stand-alone graphic for external and internal audiences is only for official, legal and formal/ceremonial purposes. It should not be used in complex designs (with many other graphics to compete with, due to its intricate design) as it is meant to stand alone, uncluttered. The Missouri Western logo should be used in designs of this nature. The use of the University Seal is subject to approval from the President’s Office and Marketing and Communications.
The seal may be used on the following items:
- Formal documents, such as diplomas, certificates, legal documents and contracts
- Publications of the Board of Governors, Office of the President and Vice Presidents
- Other official, ceremonial, or historical University materials
- Major media and fundraising initiatives
- Limited merchandise with approval from the Department of Marketing and Communications, but never on apparel
Additional seal guidelines:
- Use the University Seal Request form to seek approval from the President’s Office and Marketing and Communication.
- The seal should not be reproportioned, modified, or embellished in any way.
- Do not stretch, compress, or use an alternative typeface in an attempt to recreate the seal.
- The seal should appear in full color, or in white, black, and/or Missouri Western gold (screens of these colors are acceptable).
- Watermarking of the seal is acceptable.
- The minimum size of the seal should be 1.25 inches in diameter.