By: Bethany Vonseggern

In reflection of his first day back in June 2008, Western President Dr. Robert Vartabedian has two vivid
images in his memory: the students and the campus. Now, as he retires after 11 years, his dedication to
students and his passion for the beautification of the university still holds true.

The veteran professor and administrator said we do a disservice if we lose central focus of students. He thinks there’s a direct link between the beautification of the university to how students feel when they are on campus.

Vartabedian believes that with an improved Creating a Legacy campus and the high level of seriousness
Western takes in hiring the right individuals, is what makes the students’ experience more
enjoyable and have more pride.

“I think that’s been our motto throughout,” Vartabedian said. “Everything that we do should directly or indirectly trace back to students in terms of improving their existence here and improving their existence after they leave here.”

Looking back on his academic career, which started back in the mid 1970s, Vartabedian believes his time as a professor has been his proudest moment. He thrives on interactions with students in the classroom which he was lucky enough to never have to give up.

On occasion Vartabedian would teach a course on The Enduring Legacy of Walter Cronkite and seminars on public speaking. Although his areas of expertise are political communication, public speaking and Walter Cronkite, if asked to teach again, Vartabedian would teach on whatever topic was of interest or needed, because he’s ready.

It’s not uncommon for Vartabedian to run into students that he has helped over the years. Whether it be an alumni running a restaurant refusing to let him pay or a student at a football game saying how much their
education means, Vartabedian is humbled by the opportunity to impact the lives of students.

A combination of these interactions and his experience as a first-generation college student himself, Vartabedian understands the importance of an open enrollment university like Western.

“I have a great deal of empathy for the mission of our university,” Vartabedian said. “I think that’s been the most rewarding thing, is seeing students really improve their lives because of a degree or multiple degrees from Missouri Western.”

He also accredits his understanding and success to the inspirational teachers who stuck with him through the years helping him through college. One professor in particular, Dr. George Diestel whom Vartabedian kept in contact until recent years when Diestel passed away, was a true supporter and mentor.

According to Vartabedian once you were a student of Diestel you were a student for life. In fact, Diestel lead the effort to nominate the Cronkite: Multimedia Performance for a Pulitzer Prize which just proved to Vartabedian what a dedicated teacher could mean to someone.

Vartabedian has taken lead from his mentor and is a true believer of the creative process and supporting others. He encourages creativity by being open to the ideas of others and creating an environment where those feel comfortable.

On a larger scale the greatest moments for Vartabedian are seeing how far programs have come. He believes it is about taking the work seriously in terms of what students can accomplish and seeing it in action.

“Anytime I have an experience where they [students] can strut their stuff and make us all proud, I think those are all gratifying moments,” Vartabedian said.

Some accomplishments of note over his 11 years include the Chiefs Summer Training Camp, beautification projects, increase of international students, The Cronkite Memorial, endowment growth and development of online courses. However, he said he can’t take full credit for this work.

“There are a lot of things that I am proud have transpired while I was here. Of course the real work for
those things were done by others, but probably the thing that I would be most proud of is just to be part of the process of improving students lives.”

How does Vartabedian want to be remembered? As someone who tried hard and gave it his complete effort and in a humane inclusive manner, despite not everything going well or being accomplished.

“In a job like this there are going to be some people who are probably not sad to see me go, and I understand that,” Vartabedian said. “I’ve tried the best I can, but I haven’t been able to do everything and the biggest challenge has been the financial challenge.”

The tough nature of the unexpected financial free fall his first few years was a struggle and the intermittent financial hits since have been difficult to overcome. Vartabedian said if he had any regrets it would be the reality of the financial heartache of cutting programs and having people and programs feeling neglected.

As he leaves his career in academia, Vartabedian is continuously grateful and humbled by his journey and those he has met along the way.

“For a first-generation college student like myself to have this kind of a capstone experience for 11 years was a dream come true,” Vartabedian said. “I am the one who needs to be thanking others for this kind of opportunity. I’ve been very, very lucky and have had dedicated faculty, staff, students, board members…”

“I am the grateful one. I couldn’t be more pleased with it [time at Western]. The things beyond our control – like appropriations – there’s not much you can do about that. But the things that were within our control – couldn’t have be better.”