By Dianah Hidzir and Bethany Vonseggern

The passion to introduce change and bring justice to the Western campus is a natural progression for senior Alexis Williams.

Williams’ involvement with Western activities goes above and beyond the average student. She is a psychology major with a concentration in organizational leadership and a minor in business. As if her studies don’t keep her busy enough, Williams is a resident assistant in Leaverton Hall, a program assistant at the CME and president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

She was certain that she did not start school with the intention to be as active as she is now. But with the urge to bring change on campus and create an environment to eliminate race-based discrimination, she knew that there was something that she had to do.

After the society went inactive for a few academic years, Williams succeeded to bring back NAACP on campus as soon as she was invited by a friend to kick off the effort.

“My friend, Eric Toliver and I brought up the whole idea to an SGA meeting one day,” Williams said.“They voted to pass it, and so NAACP was brought back to Western the following year. By the progress of the club so far, we knew that that change was much needed.”

Williams has also led several Black Lives Matter movements, both on and off campus. She has organized numerous events that relate to African-American history at Western and has recited the famous poem ‘What If I Was a Black Woman’ in public venues since the age of seven.

Upholding the dignity of African-American students on campus has become part of who Williams is as an individual. Even after graduating college, she hopes that new students will continue to appreciate and flourish in relations to her contributions to the school.

Q & A

What inspires you?

Definitely family…My mom didn’t go to college so I definitely strive to do everything for my mom and dad. I think no matter what, I strive to be the best I can be even if I’m not good at something, like school related…as long as I try my best – that’s what my parents have always instilled in me. You may not be good at it but try your best to do something.

What does your typical day look like?

Oh wow, well today is Wednesday (laughing)…so my typical day is from 8 to midnight. (During this time Williams works two jobs, goes to class and participates in campus events).

When do you sleep?

(Laughing) I know that’s what people say. I think I’ve tried to stay busy… I struggled with depression my first year, so me getting involved really, really

helped. So, I mean sleep doesn’t really bother me but I think being involved really pushes me to do the best that I can.

You just won a trip to go anywhere in the world. Where would you go and who do you take?

(Without skipping a beat) Dubai. That is like my number one place in life I want to go with my mom and dad of course.

What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve done?

I don’t know…I like to think I make wise choices…Umm, probably not go to class. There’s been days, I think everyone has done this,  you want to sleep-in for an hour so you just skip the whole day.

Best song ever?

Probably Beyonce’s ‘I Was Here’. It is my favorite motivation song that I listen to, like, five times a day.