The study of psychology provides a better understanding of human nature and behavior. Missouri Western’s program offers a degree in General Psychology. Psychology is a fascinating field of study on its own or combined with other studies, like business, science or health professions. Missouri Western’s program also provides a solid foundation for students who plan to attend graduate school.
To declare a psychology major you must have:
- PSY101 completed with a grade of C or better
- PSY200 completed (or in progress) with a grade of C or better
- BIO101 completed (or in progress) with a grade of C or better
- MAT110 or higher completed (or in progress) with a grade of C or better
- ENG104 (or ENG112) completed (or in progress) with a grade of C or better
- Overall GPA of 2.0 or higher
If you are currently enrolled in any of the above courses you can be admitted conditionally on receiving the necessary grade in the in-progress courses. Please contact your academic advisor to declare a psychology major.
|BIO 101||Principles of Biology||4|
|or BIO 105||Principles of Organismal Biology|
|PSY 101||General Psychology||3|
|PSY 200||Intermediate Psychology||3|
|PSY 300||Introductory Psychological Statistics||3|
|PSY 301||Psychology Research Methods||3|
|PSY 303||Psychology Research Team||3|
|PSY 445||Senior Seminar||3|
|Select one course from each of the following restricted elective core groupings:|
|Psychology of Gender|
or PSY 230
|Psychology of Communication|
or PSY 260
|Learning and Memory|
or PSY 340
|Introduction to Neuroscience|
or PSY 355
|Sensation and Perception|
or PSY 365
or PSY 321
|Adaptive Behavior Core||3|
or PSY 325
|Psychology of Personality|
or PSY 400
|Introduction to Psychological Testing and Assessment|
|History and Systems Core||3|
|History and Systems in Psychology|
Additional six credit hours of electives (at least three credits 300 or higher) in Psychology 1
|Total Credit Hours||91-96|
At lease 3 credit hours numbered 300 or higher required. These electives may be chosen from the remaining courses in the restricted core electives above or from other offerings.
Note: It is recommended that all students preparing for graduate school take PSY 430 History and Systems in Psychology; this is a requirement for entrance to many graduate schools.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.
Are you ready to declare this major?
- Major: B.S. Psychology
Mapping your degree plan is important. Consult with your academic advisor to create a plan and monitor it regularly.