Students in Psychology have several opportunities to gain practical experience through internships or practicums before they graduate.
Psychology students have worked in local offices such as Riverbend Rehabilitation Center, Youth Services Group Homes, United Cerebral Palsy, Heartland Mental Health Unit, Buchanan County Prosecutor’s Office, Buchanan County Juvenile Office and Family Guidance Center, to name a few.
Click here to learn more:
Students conduct independent research in the Psychology Department in the PSY450 class. Students work directly with faculty mentors to determine research needs and process.
The Honors Program provides students with an independent focused study in a chosen major under the direction of a professor. This independent study is intended to culminate in an Honors Project worthy of presentation and/or publication. To apply for admission into Honors Psychology, students should have successfully completed 32 hours of coursework at MWSU or any accredited college or university with a GPA of 3.5.
A student who is interested in doing Majors Honors at Missouri Western should:
- Complete a Majors Honors Approval form (which is available on the Honors webpage or in the Honors Office in Eder Hall, Room 220), by identifying a faculty mentor/research advisor, and by submitting the completed application to the Honors Program.
- Complete a major research project or creative work under the guidance of a professor within the major.
- Complete of a written thesis and present it at a regional/national venue, or submit it for publication.
- Complete 6 credit hours of 300+ leveled honors coursework within the major.
- Complete 2 credit hours of Honors Colloquia (HON395 for 2 credits).
- Complete 1 credit hour of UNIV 201 (Community Service Learning).
For a total of 9 credit hours.
Students must earn an A or B in all coursework and maintain a 3.5 or higher GPA.
The Honors Office will verify the successful completion of Majors Honors to the Registrar’s Office. This designation will be posted on the student’s official transcript.