By: Wil Abeling

Every day, we get up and go about our day-to-day routines looking at the world the same way. For some of us, this mundane existence is no way to see the world, especially for the wondrous place it is.

The job of any great photographer is to show the world that life is filled with so much more, and the best part is that no two photographers are the same.

Each and every one of them has a uniquely beautiful view of the world.

Although there are many different styles of photography, cinema major Gabriel Barton, is a photographer who enjoys shooting portraits.

“I usually use my Canon 80D outfitted with a 50 mm lens,” Barton said. “I like the way people look on that lens, and I like that the challenge of trying to compose interesting shots using only one lens.”

Every lens can change the way things look.

Every choice a photographer makes can change the outcome of a photo drastically.

Thomas Brecheisen, a Western professor, uses the camera to create surreal imagery. He excels at long exposure and high-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI).

Brecheisen favors a wide lens when shooting his HDRI shots. He loves to shoot images of buildings and tries not to use any lighting equipment.

“First is lighting, not only what will hit your subject but what is going on in the composition of the shot,”
Brecheisen said.

Nonetheless, there are other photographers – like computer science major Cecilia Marie Tackett – who do not put as much emphasis on structure. This style of photography is great for just going out and taking
photos of whatever catches your eye.

“I’ve never had a process on how to take an image,” Tackett said. “I see something I like and I take the photo. If I try too hard to find structure and processes, I lose my creativity, and my images suffer.”

One of the most valuable resources to a photographer is to observe the styles and techniques of other photographers to broaden our horizons, as cinema major Charles Whitmill says.

“Looking at what people have done in the past is the best way to widen your horizons,” Whitmill said. “It
gives you a building point and a baseline to start from in terms of stylistic choices to pick.”

Photographers across campus use different methods, but they all have the same goal in mind: take the best
image possible to show the world for all its beauty.

You don’t have to be a photographer to do this so get out there and create!