If you think international students are unrecognizable, think again.

The best player on Western’s golf team is our very own Malaysian, Shi Qing Ong.

Ong started playing the sport as a hobby, but never thought that she would make a possible career out of it. After four years of leisure golfing with her father, Ong became part of her high school golf team and began to play competitively. After numerous wins in countless championships, Western became the place where she got to shine like a star.

As an international student who came from a relatively small country, Ong amazed everyone during her second semester. She was awarded Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA) Freshman of the Year, competed in the All-Region Women’s Golf Coach Association (WGCA), received the MIAA Academic Honor Roll and led history by making the Griffons qualify for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Championships and Regional for first time in the program.

Her success throughout her first and second semester at Western is what she considers her best accomplishment.

“Last year, I played my personal best in two huge tournaments and got named the MIAA Women’s Golf Athlete of the Week twice,” Ong said. “I cannot be any more happy and thankful.”

With the achievements that she already such as MIAA Player of the Year in 2018, Ong dreams to go professional one day. Whilst majoring in biology with concentration in health science, she also hopes to become a physical therapist as an addition to her line of work.

Q & A:

Why did you choose Western?

I am able to play the sport that I love and pursue higher education at the same time.

What inspires you?

My parents are my role models. They are my guides and courage to face challenges in life. They are the reason I work hard every day, and I want to make them proud.

What do you do in your free time?

Learn new skills such as improving my culinary skills. I love trying new things!  

How do you prepare for a tournament?  

I pray a lot to God and make sure I stay positive before going into the round.

What is your dream course to play?

St Andrews Links in Scotland.

How would you describe your experience at Western?

It has been incredible. I have made many friends who are here to support me. It’s probably safe to say that I have become an independent individual and have enough confidence to face my personal and professional goals.  

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy traveling. It brings me a new perspective and different experiences every time.

What is the best piece of advice you can give to other students?

Stop comparing yourself to someone else’s life. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.