By: Mackenzie Boos 

Western basketball bounced their way into the MIAA Championship playoffs after the Griffons went 4-15 in the MIAA during the season.

The season didn’t end as the team wished it would. The Griffons ended their season finishing 6-21. They went 2-11 with away games and 4-9 at home.

Head Coach Brett Weiberg is in his fifth season with the Griffons. He said there is more preparation than what people see.

“There’s not much you can say before a game, I think it is the preparation leading up to it,” Weiberg said. “We always try to make sure each player knows their job. You hope that what you do the days leading up to the game, the morning of the game, the walkthrough before the game, are the most important when it comes to game night.”

On Feb. 7, history was made for one basketball player. Senior Cole Clearman joined the 1,000-point club, contributing 219 points this season. Clearman is the first player since 2003 to score 1,000 points. He also broke the record for three-pointers.

“When my teammates were congratulating me, I mean, they’re the reason I’ve got to where I’ve got,” Clearman said. “My coaches are a big factor as well as my parents. I just can’t thank them enough for everything.”

Senior Seth Bonifas helped lead the team in field-goal percentage, field-goals made and free throw percentage. He was also the leader in offensive rebounds. Bonifas believes that being a student comes first and has full support from Weiberg.

“Coach has always told us to never give up, that we can give more,” Bonifas said. “Whether it is on the basketball court or in class, you can always do more to help yourself and help your team.”

Western finished their season 6-21 but is now 25-21 overall in the MIAA Championships.