By: Maria Selby

Alpha Phi Alpha hosted the first Raise Her Up Poetry Slam which was dedicated to women and judged as a friendly competition. 

Women attending the show were greeted, given a yellow rose and were read powerful thoughtful poems throughout the event.

Zoie Reynolds, a freshman at Western, was one of the first readers of the night. She has been in many poetry competitions and has had experience performing with an audience. The piece she wrote was dedicated to her mother.

“I always get nervous no matter how many times I perform, but this is a happy poem so I am a little more relaxed,” Reynolds said. “I wanted to do a poem about my mom because we are very close. I just want her to feel really appreciated.”

Among Reynolds, there were five other poets whose works ranged from relationships, to “thank yous” and powerful self-worth poems.

Elijah Todd, a judge of the slam, said various factors would be considered while judging. Judges look at posture, eye contact, enthusiasm and crowd interaction.

Lauren Murphy came to support her roommate who took part in the event, and was blown away by the performances.

“You can feel the emotion as they [poets] read their work; instead of just reading them ourselves,” Murphy said.

As the pieces were read, the audience “snapped” at parts that they particularly enjoyed, which had led to deafening praise for the works.

With a great turnout of guests and amazing pieces of poetry, the Raise Her Up Poetry Slam aims to be a fantastic recurring event on campus.