By Lindsay Gomez

Dr. Jeff Poet, professor of mathematics, brings a dynamic approach to his teachings each semester.  

Poet approaches his students with a unique perspective and realizes every student learns differently. He said at times he just walks in the classroom and wings it.

“I get paid to play mind games with my students,” Poet said. “I don’t just teach the material; I teach the people in front of me.”

In January 2018 during Western’s annual awards banquet Poet was awarded the Distinguished Faculty Award.

Poet was pleasantly surprised to receive the award as he was the first math professor to do so at Western.

Dr. Jennifer Hegeman, chair of the department of computer science, math and physics said Poet has a special energy with his students.

“He has some magical way to present math because of his strong understanding of math,” Hegeman said. “It is certainly a talent that comes naturally to him.”

In addition to teaching, Poet has been actively conducting research with synthetic biology students, alongside biology professor Dr. Todd Eckdahl. The first year together they brought home a significant first place win from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Teach the Teachers competition where they beat out their Harvard competitors who placed second.

Eckdahl said he noticed that Poet was engaged in his field, and the two collaborated from there. Poet is able to understand biology as a non-biologist, and Eckdahl said it takes a special type of individual to form that understanding.

“As a mathematician, Poet comes up with ideas that I cannot as a biologist and this is definitely not a two-way street because I cannot think like him,” Eckdahl said. “He models this behavior with his students, thinking in a multi-disciplinary way.”

Poet knew as a child he would become a teacher. His teachings has made an impact on his students. Former students contact him to let him regularly know he was a great influence.

Poet will continue to make a difference in the lives of others through teaching here at Western. His teachings have made an impact on his students. Former students contact him to let him regularly know he was a great influence.