2016 marks the fifth year of the Pony Express Run and running enthusiasts came from far and wide to take part in this race.

This race has two separate categories: the 5k and the half marathon. Now don’t let the half fool you; for the uninitiated a half marathon is still a grueling 13.1 mile run. There was also a kids fun run for kids interested in running.

It’s no secret that running has many good benefits for one’s health and wellness. This run didn’t just benefit the runners though. It also benefited the junior league of Saint Joseph and United Way of Greater Saint Joseph with the proceeds.

This event highlights how a community can come together and make a positive impact on others’ lives while helping participants staying in shape.

“I started running to stay active, to stay in shape, and when I first started, I really disliked it. But, it definitely grew on me.” Ryan Swafford, a runner in this year’s 5k, said. “For me, it’s about so much more than staying active. It helps me to stay sharp mentally, maintain energy for longer amounts of time, relieve stress, push myself and tack on a few extra calories when there’s a good meal in front of me.”

The other option at the race for adults was the half marathon, a distance that participants have to work and train themselves to be able to do. At over 4 times the length of a 5k, the half marathon was a race that was just as much about endurance as it was speed.

While the idea of running this distance may seem daunting to many, for some racers longer distance runs are the reason they come out.

“To be honest, I chose the half marathon because I really like the half marathon distance. You get in the zone after a while, and it’s just not something I’ve found happens as much doing 5k races,” Francis Gleich, one the runners to complete the half marathon, said.

So start training now because the sixth annual run will be here before you know it. Whether you’re just starting out or are a long time runner, this is something you won’t want to miss.