Risk management Logo

Risk Management
& Safety

Our Mission

The office of Risk Management & Safety (ORMS) is a service unit of the System Administrative and General Offices of Missouri Western State University. ORMS provides consultation and service to components in the areas of health and safety, environmental protection, and risk analysis and control.

ORMS activities should facilitate component efforts to:

  • Provide healthy environments and engage in safe work practices,
  • Comply with applicable state and federal environmental laws, and
  • Identify and implement strategies and processes to reduce risks and financial losses.

ORMS shall develop and implement plans designed to promote these efforts and keep System Administration and the Board of Governors apprised of its activities.

Risk management is a proactive approach to protecting students, staff, faculty and the general public from harm. This function includes providing advice, assistance and direction in the University’s obligation to furnish facilities and an environment that will provide reasonable protection of employees, students and the public and assist the University in safeguarding its resources. Individual operating departments maintain basic responsibilities for preserving assets in their control. This includes, but is not limited to, the following resources: people, property, income and minimizing potential loss within their area of control.

All insurance purchases, with the exception of employee benefit insurance, should be made through the Risk Manager.

Employees, as representatives of the University, should not make statements which could be construed as accepting liability for incidents including, but not limited to, automobile, personal injuries and/or property damage. Any claims against Missouri Western State University, its officials, or employees should be reported to the Risk Manager.

For more information, please contact us at (816) 271-4417.


Workers’ Compensation


Mike CrutchfieldMike Crutchfield
Email: mcrutchfield@missouriwestern.edu
Location: Physical Plant
Phone: (816) 271-4232

Griffon Alert