Missouri Western State University students, alumni, faculty, staff and the community will celebrate Homecoming 2018 Oct. 7-13, culminating with the Griffon football game against Central Oklahoma at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13 on Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium. The theme this year is “Griffons Under the Big Top.”
The annual Homecoming Parade will step off at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 13 at 11th and Faraon in Downtown St. Joseph. It will proceed southwest on Frederick Avenue to Francis, then west on Francis to 4th, south of 4th to Felix, and east on Felix to 10th Street. Homecoming parade entries will be accepted through Oct. 10 online at missouriwestern.edu/homecoming.
The Homecoming Committee invites the community to help save a life by participating in the Blood Drive Challenge vs. Northwest Missouri State University on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 9, 10 and 11. The Community Blood Center will be collecting blood from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day in the Hoff Conference Room, Blum Student Union rooms 218. Book an appointment at esavealifenow.org, enter sponsor code MWSU.
The week’s full schedule includes:
Sunday, Oct. 7
- Forever Griffons Luncheon, noon, Hall of Fame Room, Spratt Memorial Stadium, celebrating alumni from the days of St. Joseph Junior College through 1978.
- Under the Big Top Cookout and Bonfire, 6 p.m., Lot H near Baker Fitness Center (rain location: Looney Complex).
Monday, Oct. 8
- Legacy Day, noon Oct. 8 to noon Oct. 9, online. This is the second annual online giving day led by GOLD, Graduates of the Last Decade. Last year, Legacy Day raised more than $10,000; the goal this year is $12,000.
- Cirque du Champ, 4 p.m., Intramural Flag Football Field (near Mitchell Avenue and Southwest University Drive. Student teams will compete in a Field Day competition. (rain location: Looney Complex)
Tuesday, Oct. 9
- Alumni Employee Breakfast, 7 a.m., Food Court. The Alumni Association is celebrating alumni who work on campus.
- Homecoming Blood Drive, 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Blum 218.
- Cirque du Griffon Feud, 7 p.m., Kemper Recital Hall, Spratt 101. Student teams will compete in a Family Feud type competition.
Wednesday, Oct. 10
- Support a Griffon Business Day, all day, various locations. Alumni, students and supporters are asked to patronize Griffon-owned and –managed businesses.
- Griffon Circus Cinema Drive-In, 7:30 p.m., Fulkerson Center. Showing the movie “It,” with popcorn provided.
Thursday, Oct. 11
- Student Etiquette Dinner, 5 p.m., Enright Community Room, Spratt 214. The Career Development Center and the Black Alumni Network of the Alumni Association will host students for a special etiquette dinner.
- Silent House of Mirrors, 8 p.m., Fulkerson Center. Students will wear headphones tuned to one of three DJs.
Friday, Oct. 12
- Alumni golf outing, 9:30 a.m., Fairview Golf Course
- Alumni Awards Banquet, 5:30 p.m. reception, 6:15 p.m. dinner and program. Eleven individuals will be honored by the Alumni Association.
- The Final Acts pep rally, 8 p.m., Looney Arena. The annual homecoming pep rally, including the crowning of royalty.
Saturday, Oct. 13
- Homecoming Parade, 9:30 a.m., Downtown St. Joseph
- Arts, Beats & Treats, 10:30 a.m., Remington Hall. A family-friendly event for children and grandchildren, hosted by the Alumni Association.
- Tailgate, 10:30 a.m., Lot H
- Football game, 1 p.m., Spratt Stadium
- Black Alumni Reunion Banquet, 6 p.m., Enright Community Room, Spratt 214-216
Sunday, Oct. 14
- Black Alumni Farewell Scholarship Brunch, 10 a.m., Enright Community Room, Spratt 214-216
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.