Oct. 8, 2021–Missouri Western State University students, alumni, faculty and staff invite the community to celebrate Homecoming and Family Weekend 2021, ending with the Homecoming Parade in downtown St. Joseph and the Griffon football game against Northeastern State on Saturday, Oct. 16. The theme this year is “Stars Afar, Griffs We Are.”
The annual Homecoming Parade will step off at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 16 at City Hall in Downtown St. Joseph. Homecoming parade entries will be accepted through noon on Monday, Oct. 11 online at missouriwestern.edu/homecoming.
The week’s schedule includes:
Sunday, Oct. 10, 7-9 p.m.
Night Under the Stars: a showing of the movie “Space Jam: A New Legacy” on the video scoreboard on Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium. Light refreshments will be available. Bring blankets and pillows for lounging. Free and open to the public.
Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2-5 p.m.
Griffs Sweeps: the Center for Service and Western Activities Council are asking students, faculty and staff to help clean up campus before Homecoming/Family Weekend. Register at missouriwestern.edu/center-for-service/.
Wednesday, October 13, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Blood Donors are Out of This World: The Community Blood Center blood drive truck will be located in the parking lot on the north side of Blum Union.
Friday, October 15
- Alumni Awards Banquet, 6 p.m. reception, 6:30 p.m. program, Fulkerson Center; $40 per person or $240 per table of 6. All alumni and friends are welcome to join us as we celebrate these alumni and student award recipients:
- Distinguished Alumni Award: Teresa Fankhauser ’79, executive director of the Allied Arts Council
- Distinguished Faculty Award: Stephanie Stewart ’97, associate professor of nursing
- Graduate of the Last Decade (GOLD) Award: Krystal Graham ’13, regulatory affairs officer at PATH
- Herb ’35 & Peggy Iffert Award for Outstanding Service to the Community: Tom Richmond, manager of Altec Parts Distribution
- Great Griffon Awards
- College of Business and Professional Studies: Susan Campbell ’01, president/CEO of SJC Marketing
- College of Liberal Arts: Derek Coats ’02, deputy chief of staff to Sen. Roy Blunt
- College of Liberal Arts: Dan Ramming ’97, art teacher at Central High School in St. Joseph
- College of Science and Health: Gary Baumann ‘09/’12, group leader QA investigations at Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica
- Student Leadership Awards
- International Student of the Year: Liam Nevi ‘21
- Clifford Hughes ’51 Award: Isaiah Colbert ‘21
- Graduating Student of the Year: Mackenzie O’Neill ‘21
- Space Jam Pep Rally, 8:30 p.m., Craig Field at Spratt Stadium. Recognize Alumni Award Winners and enjoy performances by the student organizations.
Saturday, October 16
- Parade: Downtown St. Joseph, 10 a.m.
- Tailgate: Parking Lot H; 1 p.m. A number of local food trucks will present great dining options.
- Football Game: Missouri Western Griffons vs. Northeastern State at Spratt Memorial Stadium at 4 p.m.
Missouri Western State University is a student-centered learning community preparing individuals for lives of excellence through applied learning. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit missouriwestern.edu.