Why choose Strategic Communication?
Missouri Western’s Strategic Communication graduates learn real-world skills real-world skills they can take straight to the workplace.
Students work individually and as teams on actual public relations campaigns for real clients. They also learn from professors with successful careers in public relations who also help students find internships with local and regional agencies and companies.
You will learn strategies to communicate brand messages while fostering relationships with the media and the public. From integrated communications campaigns to preparing speeches and press conferences, you will learn to strike the balance between organizational goals and what target audiences need to know.
Strategic Communication (Bachelor of Science, B.S.)
*Effective Fall 2020, this program is scheduled for redesign. More information can be found here.
|COM 205||Introduction to Mass Media||3|
|COM 210||Presentational Communication||3|
|COM 215||Introduction to Strategic Communication||3|
|COM 222||Communication Theory||3|
|COM 311||Crisis and Risk Communication||3|
|COM 320||Research Methods In Communication||3|
|COM 382||Strategic Communication Writing||3|
|COM 410||Organizational Communication||3|
|COM 415||Strategic Communication Campaigns||3|
|COM 444||Strategic Communication Practices||3|
|JOU 104||Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|JOU 210||Journalism Practicum: Newspaper Production||2|
|or JOU 212||Journalism Practicum: Yearbook Production|
|JOU 214||Journalism Practicum: Broadcast Production||2|
|JOU 227||Publication Design||3|
|JOU 324||Web Content and Design||3|
|JOU 402||Senior Project||3|
|Choose one course from the following:||3|
|Special Topics in Strat Com.|
|Plus six credit hours form the following:||6|
Any COM 300-level or higher course
|Selected Topics in Journalism|
|Social Media Branding|
Program Graduation Requirements
- No more than one D permitted in major coursework.
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.
Are you ready to declare this major? Download, sign and submit the form to the Communication & Journalism Department.
- Major: B.S. Strategic Communication
Mapping your degree plan is important. Consult with your academic advisor to create a plan for degree completion and monitor it regularly.
- B.S. Strategic Communication