March 13, 2023–The Missouri Western State University Arts Society announced more than $22,000 in allocations to support art, music and cinema programs at its annual meeting March 7.
“It’s important that Missouri Western students have access to the necessary equipment and applied learning experiences that prepare them for the future,” said Drew Brown, Arts Society chair. “Oftentimes, the arts are thought of as a peripheral experience, a pleasure we enjoy in life. While this is true, it is important to remember the role arts play in the workforce. Students learn skills in Potter Hall today that they will employ in a variety of industries tomorrow.”
The Missouri Western Arts Society was founded in 2011 to supplement the annual budgets of arts programs, encourage attendance at performances and exhibitions, and let people know about the art opportunities available through Missouri Western. In 12 years, the Society has distributed more than $300,000 in grants to support the arts.
This year’s allocations include:
- The purchase of two iPad Pros and Apple Pencils for use in graphic design, typography and final portfolio courses
- The purchase of three Wacom Cintiq interactive displays to increase capacity for digital animation and illustration courses
- The purchase of a Glowforge Pro Laser Cutter and Engraver for use in three-dimensional design courses
- A percussion studio residency to bring three guest clinicians to teach master classes to Missouri Western percussion students over the next two semesters
- A guest lecturer on arts marketing and branding to help prepare students for their careers as professionals in the arts community
- A guest artist/clinician for next February’s MWSU Jazz Festival, including possible mini-clinics and master classes for Missouri Western music students
- The purchase of audio/video equipment to enhance the ability of the student-led Griffon Production House to record and broadcast events for outside community organizations
The MWSU Arts Society is hoping to grow its membership to 75 by July 1. To learn more, visit the Arts Society website at griff.vn/arts.
Missouri Western State University is a student-centered learning community preparing individuals for lives of excellence through applied learning. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit missouriwestern.edu.