Sept. 11, 2019—Campus and community will come together to celebrate the installation of Matthew J. Wilson, J.D., as president of Missouri Western State University at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 20 in the M.O. Looney Complex. The installation ceremony and reception to follow is free and open to the public.
Wilson became president of Missouri Western on July 1, 2019. An educator, attorney, innovator and businessman, Wilson has lived in Japan, South Korea, Saipan and several states in the U.S. He was formerly the president of the University of Akron.
The installation ceremony will include music, speeches by current Missouri Western students and an address by Wilson. A reception will follow the ceremony underneath the Glenn E. Marion Memorial Clock Tower.
The installation ceremony kicks off a full weekend of activities at Missouri Western, highlighting student-faculty research, athletic competition and family fun:
Friday, Sept. 20
- PORTAL Research Showcase, 1-3 p.m., Remington Atrium. Students and faculty members will present the results of their projects that were part of the Program of Research, Teaching and Applied Learning this summer.
- Griffon volleyball home opener vs. Central Missouri, 6 p.m., M.O. Looney Complex
- Griffon soccer vs. Missouri Southern, 8 p.m., Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium
Saturday, Sept. 20
- Family Weekend activities, including the President’s Pasta Extravaganza, carnival games, activities and entertainment, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Remington Hall
- Griffon football vs. Central Missouri, 7 p.m., Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium, including Military Appreciation Night and post-game fireworks
Sunday, Sept. 22
- Griffon soccer vs. Northwest Missouri State, 1 p.m., Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.