April 30, 2019— The Spring Commencement Ceremony for more than 500 graduates of Missouri Western State University will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 4 on Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium. Stadium gates will open to guests at 9:30 a.m. The Missouri Western State University Alumni Association will hold a reception for graduates and their friends and family following the ceremony.
Two graduating seniors, Bailey Ketcham of Elkhorn, Nebraska, and Eugenia Wallace of Kansas City, Missouri, will give the student commencement address to the graduates.
In the event the ceremony can’t be held outdoors because of inclement weather, the commencement ceremony will be held at 2 p.m. inside the Looney. Because of limited seating, guests must have tickets (distributed to the graduates with their cap and gown) to attend the ceremony indoors. Tickets will not be necessary for the outdoor ceremony.
Other commencement-related activities free and open to the public include:
- International Student Farewell and Sash Ceremony, 2 p.m. Friday, May 3 Enright Community Room, Spratt Hall room 216. Graduating international students will be presented with a sash of their country of citizenship. Exchange students will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- Graduate Hooding Ceremony, 7 p.m. Friday, May 3, Fulkerson Center. Graduate students will receive hoods symbolic of their degree, with a reception immediately following.
- Nurse Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 4, Fulkerson Center
- Physical Therapist Assistant Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 4, Kemper Recital Hall, inside Spratt Hall
- Health Information Management Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 4, Hoff Conference Rooms, Blum Student Union rooms 218-219
Many of the ceremonies will all be streamed live for those unable to attend in person: the Farewell and Sash ceremony will be streamed on the International Center Facebook page, facebook.com/mwsuinternational/; the graduate hooding at griff.vn/sp19hood; the nurse pinning at griff.vn/sp19pin; and the commencement ceremony at griff.vn/sp19grad.
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.