The Spring Commencement Ceremony for more than 500 graduates of Missouri Western State University will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 5 on Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium. Stadium gates will open to guests at 9:30 a.m. The Missouri Western State University Alumni Association will hold a reception for graduates and their friends and family following the ceremony.
Mariatul Dianah Hidzir, a public relations major from Alor Setar, Malaysia, will give the student commencement address to the 529 graduates from 20 states and 12 countries.
In the event of inclement weather, commencement ceremonies will be held inside the Fulkerson Center at the following times:
- 8:30 a.m.: School of Nursing and Health Professions
- 11:30 a.m.: School of Fine Arts and Craig School of Business
- 2 p.m.: Professional Studies
- 4:30 p.m.: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Because of limited seating in the Fulkerson Center, guests will need tickets (distributed to the graduates with their cap and gown) to attend if the ceremonies are held indoors. Tickets will not be necessary for the outdoor ceremony.
Other commencement-related activities free and open to the public include:
- International Student Farewell and Sash Ceremony, 3 p.m. Friday, May 4, Enright Community Room, Spratt Hall room 214. Graduating international students will be presented with a sash of their country of citizenship. Exchange students will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- Graduate Hooding Ceremony, 7 p.m. Friday, May 4, Fulkerson Center. Graduate students will receive hoods symbolic of their degree, with a reception immediately following.
- Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 5, Fulkerson Center
- Physical Therapist Assistant Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 5, Kemper Recital Hall, inside Spratt Hall
If inclement weather forces commencement ceremonies to be held inside, the nursing and physical therapist assistant pinning ceremonies will be cancelled.
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.