Alumni Award nominations now open
The Missouri Western State University Alumni Association is now accepting nominations for the 2018 Alumni Awards, to be presented at the 36th annual Alumni Awards Banquet in October. To be considered this year, nominations must be submitted by April 1. Self-nominations are accepted.
For more information on the awards, including recent recipients, or to fill out a nomination form, visit www.missouriwestern.edu/alumni/awards.
Nominations are being accepted for the following awards:
- Distinguished Alumni Award: Established in 1983, the Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest award given to an alumnus/alumna by the Alumni Association. The Distinguished Alumni Award recognizes living alumni for their career/professional achievements; civic contributions within their local community, state or nation; service to Missouri Western State University; and other qualities which elicit pride from others who attended Missouri Western. This award is given to alumni with a difference of at least 11 years between attendance and nomination.
- GOLD (Graduate of the Last Decade): The GOLD award recognizes those early in their career who have had outstanding achievements and accomplishments. The award is based upon professional and educational achievements, community activities, honors and awards received and other noteworthy items of merit since graduation. The nominee must have received his or her initial degree from Missouri Western within ten years of June 1 of the year of recognition.
- Herb ’35 and Peggy Iffert Award for Outstanding Service to the University: The Iffert Award recognizes an alumnus/alumna, retiree, or other friend of the University who has shown outstanding and continuous commitment to Missouri Western’s mission, vision, and legacy. This award recognizes one’s service as a positive liaison between the University and the region of northwest Missouri as well as consistent dedication to the advancement and preservation of Missouri Western.
- Distinguished Faculty Award: Established in 1983, the Distinguished Faculty Award is given to a current faculty member by the Alumni Association in recognition of one’s lasting influence on students, excellence in teaching, professional/career accomplishments, and professional and ethical standards.
- The Great Griffon Awards: The Great Griffon Awards recognize alumni from each college and school who exhibit outstanding contributions to the workforce, society or the University. Nominees must have completed at least 24 credit hours at any Missouri Western institution and do not have to work in the area in which they studied. Nominees can be recognized for career achievement, service to local communities, state, nation or the University. At least one year is required between attendance and award nomination.
- Student Leadership Awards: The Student Leadership Awards recognize graduating students who have made significant impact to the life of the University during their tenure though leadership, volunteerism, or humanitarianism. The Alumni Student Leadership Awards include Graduating Student of the Year, Clifford Hughes ’55 Award and the International Student of the Year. Nominees for the Student Leadership Awards must be graduating seniors (either May or December) and have shown exemplary leadership, volunteerism, or humanitarianism.
All of the Alumni Awards are awarded to nominees through a rigorous selection process and at the pleasure and discretion of the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association. All recipients of the Alumni Awards and their accomplishments are intended to reflect the values, excellence and integrity of Missouri Western State University.
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.