Spring Commencement May 6
The Spring Commencement Ceremony for approximately 500 graduates of Missouri Western State University will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 6 on Craig Field at Spratt Memorial Stadium. Stadium gates will open to guests at 9:30 a.m. The Missouri Western State University Alumni Association will hold a reception for graduates and their families following the ceremony in the home concourse area of the stadium.
Connor Samenus, business major from Kansas City, Missouri, will give the student commencement address, “What It Means to be a Griffon.”
In the event of inclement weather, the commencement ceremony will be held inside the Looney Complex arena at 2 p.m. Saturday. Because of limited seating in the arena, tickets have been issued to graduates for the indoor ceremony.
Seating will be available in Potter Hall to accommodate guests who prefer not to sit outside if the ceremony is held in Spratt Stadium, or who are unable to be seated in Looney if weather forces the ceremony indoors.
Other commencement-related activities free and open to the public include:
- International Student Farewell and Sash Ceremony, 2 p.m. Friday, May 5, Fulkerson Center. Graduating international students will be presented with a sash of their country of citizenship. Exchange students will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- Graduate Hooding Ceremony, 7 p.m. Friday, May 5, Fulkerson Center. For the first time, a special hooding ceremony will be held for graduate students receiving their master’s degrees, with a reception immediately following.
- Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 6, Fulkerson Center
- Physical Therapist Assistant Pinning Ceremony, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 6, Kemper Recital Hall, inside Spratt Hall
Many of the commencement-related activities will also be streamed live online. Below are links to the live webcasts:
- International Farewell and Sash Ceremony: http://griff.vn/springsash17
- Graduate Hooding Ceremony: http://griff.vn/spmaster17
- Nursing Pinning Ceremony: http://griff.vn/springpin17
- Commencement: http://griff.vn/springgrad17
The commencement ceremony will also be available for viewing on Missouri Western’s website shortly after it concludes.
Missouri Western anticipates 442 undergraduates and 51 graduate students earning their degrees this semester. In addition, approximately 30 students who graduated in December but were unable to participate in the rescheduled Winter Commencement will walk across the stage May 6.
Missouri Western State University is a comprehensive regional university providing a blend of traditional liberal arts and professional degree programs. The university offers student-centered, high quality instruction that focuses on experience-based learning, community service, and state-of-the-art technology. Missouri Western is located in St. Joseph, Mo., and is committed to the educational, economic, cultural and social development of the region it serves. Visit www.missouriwestern.edu.