Spring Date: Friday-Saturday, April 5-6, 2019
The Mystics Dance Team hosts tryouts every spring and scholarships are available.
Notice: All tryout days are closed to the public.
- All participants must fill out the Tryout Application Form and the Medical Release Form which can be downloaded from this site and brought to tryouts with you on Friday, April 5, 2019.
- All participants must show proof of current medical insurance at tryouts. YOU MUST BRING A COPY (FRONT AND BACK) OF YOUR CURRENT MEDICAL INSURANCE CARD.
- All participants under the age of 18 must have a parent’s signature on the medical release form.
- If a current Missouri Western student; bring a copy of current Missouri Western transcript (unofficial)
- If a transfer student or incoming freshman; bring a copy of transcripts (unofficial).
- Team members may be required to purchase team support items such as jacket, shoes, and related items.
Tryouts: DAY 1 – Friday, April 5
Registration will begin at 4:30 pm
*Bring tryout application, medical release form, copies of current medical insurance cards, proof of acceptance to Missouri Western or copy of transcripts if current student.
Dance instruction will begin at 5:00 pm:
Participants will learn the MWSU fight song dance, technical skills and across the floor combinations, jazz combination, and pom combination that they will be evaluated on the following day for auditions.
Tryouts: DAY 2 – Saturday, April 6
Check-in will be at 8:00 am to draw for audition number and to take headshots.
Participants will be judged on tryout material, physical fitness/appearance and crowd appeal, and informal interview.
NOTE: The judges and coach will determine the final selection.
- The selection of the team will be announced on the Mystic’s Instagram account (@mwsu_mystics) following tryouts.
- If chosen, be prepared to return to Looney Sports Complex for team meeting at time given at tryouts.
Crop top, sports bra, or bra top in black, white, or Griffon gold and fitted black dance shorts with NO tights with jazz shoes or tennis shoes. Hair should be worn down with a full “game day” makeup look. No jewelry allowed other than stud earrings.
- Scholarships awarded each semester.
- Perform at state of the art facilities and travel with athletic teams during playoff opportunities.
- March and perform with the Griffon Gold Marching Band
- Possible selection as a veteran member to attend ProAction Dance Two-Day Intensive.
- Opportunity to audition for the competition team to compete at NDA Nationals in Daytona Beach, FL in 2020.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Complete tryout application form.
- Verify Health Insurance on application.
These obligations are strictly enforced by the Dean of School of Fine Arts representative who sponsors the dance team. The Mystic members are Ambassadors for the University. Public relations is a common part of the Mystic’s role at Missouri Western.
Each team member is required to attend athletic events, understand the role of the Mystics Dance Team at these events, and lead and entertain the crowd in support of Missouri Western.
As a squad member you can count on:
- Guidance and support in achieving your academic goals
- Training in an organized, established and fair program where there is a strong emphasis on striving for excellence in all areas
- Hard work, friends and success
Contact: Coach Fallon Gardner email@example.com
Mini-Mystics Dance Clinic
Looney Gym, 4525 Downs Drive, St. Joseph, MO 64507
$30 fee includes participant’s t-shirt, clinic registration, and performance.
The Missouri Western State University Mystics Dance team will hold a mini-dance clinic for children ages Pre-K through 8th grade on Saturday, TBA, 2019. Check-in begins at 9:45 am. Walk-ins are welcome, but are not guaranteed a clinic t-shirt. Participants of the clinic will perform between the Missouri Western Women’s basketball game and the Missouri Western Men’s basketball game.
Your child must be registered by TBA to receive a t-shirt. For additional questions, please contact Coach Fallon Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org