College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®)
CLEP® is a national program of credit by examination that allows you to obtain recognition for college-level achievement. You can receive credit for what you already know by earning a qualifying score on a CLEP®. More than 2,900 colleges and universities in the United States will recognize your comprehensive subject knowledge acquired through independent or prior study, cultural pursuits, special interests, internships, or professional development.
CLEP® exams are 90 minutes long and consist of multiple-choice questions. The exception is College Composition, which includes an essay. Scores for CLEP® exams (except those with essay) are available immediately upon completion of the exam.
Individuals who wish to receive college credit may register to take one or more CLEP® exams. Since credit-granting policies vary at each college, contact your institution's testing coordinator or admissions officer regarding the specific CLEP® examinations accepted for credit towards your degree.
Missouri Western accepts the following for credit:
Missouri Western Course Title & Credit Hours
Composition and Literature:
- College Writing and Rhetoric (ENG 104) 3
- Principles of Biology (BIO 101) 4
- Introductory Financial Accounting (ACC 201) 3
- Business Law I (GBA 211) 3
- Principles of Macroeconomics (ECO 260) 3
- Principles of Microeconomics (ECO 261) 3
- Microcomputer Applications (CSC 201) 3
- Ancient and Medieval Civilization (HIS 200) 3
- Early Modern Civilization (HIS 210) 3
- American History to 1865 (HIS 140) 3 *
- American History Since 1865 (HIS 150) 3 *
- College Algebra (MAT 116) 3
- Calculus / Analytic Geometry I (MAT 167) 5
- American National Government (PSC 101) 3 *
- General Psychology (PSY 101) 3
- Life-Span Developmental Psych (PSY 240) 3
- Introduction to Sociology (SOC 110) 3
*These CLEP exams do not fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement at MWSU.
Corresponding CLEP Exam Title
Composition and Literature:
- College Composition
- Financial Accounting
- Introductory Business Law
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Information Systems & Computer Apps.
- Western Civ. I: Ancient Near E.-1648
- Western Civ. II: 1648-Present
- History of the US I: Early Col-1877
- History of the US II: 1865-Present
- College Algebra
- American Government
- Introductory Psychology
- Human Growth and Development
- Introductory Sociology
Registration is done online prior to taking the test. Use the link to the CLEP web site below to register. You will be billed $80 by CLEP at the time of registration. BEGINNING JULY 1, 2017, THE COST WILL INCREASE TO $85. Tests purchased before this date will cost $80, even if you do not take them until after July 1.
There is a $30 proctoring fee which must be paid prior to scheduling your exam, along with a signed copy of the Proctored Examination Agreement. The Testing Center accepts cash, checks and debit cards. Fees may be paid at the Western Institute office, Spratt Hall 210.
Members of the armed forces may pay a reduced proctoring fee of $25. Bring your military ID for the discount.
Rescheduled or cancelled appointments must be made at least 24 hours prior to the originally scheduled testing time, or the $30 fee will be forfeited.Proctored Examination Agreement
Be sure to bring government-issued photo ID on test day.
You may also obtain a free copy of CLEP® Colleges in the Testing Center or visit www.collegeboard.com/clep or call (800) 257-9558.
Each CLEP® Testing Center has its own test dates and deadlines. Missouri Western tests on an individual basis by appointment.
Contact Tammy Norris (816) 271-4194 or John Hewitt (816) 271-4193 at the Testing Center to make arrangements for taking the test during our operating hours of 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.CLEP Website