Studying abroad can be expensive, but that does not make it impossible.
In many cases, the financial aid that you already receive to attend Missouri Western can be used to defray the costs of studying abroad. Talk with staff in the MWSU Financial Aid office about how to help finance your Study Abroad experience. Fill out as much of this form as you can, and bring it with you to your Financial Aid appointment:
You may also apply for other sources of funding. The links below will introduce you to an example of the types of external funding opportunities available. We encourage you to search the Internet for other opportunities.
Missouri Western Study Abroad Scholarship
The Office of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs is sometimes able to assist students with a small scholarship to enable them to study abroad. Use the form below to apply. These internal scholarships are not large, but every bit helps when you are saving for your trip.
The date by which a student must apply for a scholarship from the Office of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs will depend on the type of study abroad program in which s/he is enrolled.
- For students enrolled in semester-long study abroad programs in the Spring semester, including exchange programs, the scholarship application deadline will be October 1. Students will be notified of October 15.
- For students enrolled in semester-long study abroad programs in the Summer semester, including exchange programs, the scholarship application deadline will be March 1. Students will be notified of March 15.
- For students enrolled in semester-long study abroad programs in the Fall semester, including exchange programs, the scholarship application deadline will be
April 1. Students will be notified of April 15.
- For students enrolled in faculty-led study abroad programs in the Spring semester, the scholarship application deadline will be December 10. Students will be notified by January 20.
- For students enrolled in faculty-led study abroad programs during Intersession or in the Summer or Fall semesters, the scholarship application deadline will be April 1. Students will be notified of April 15.
At this site, you will find an extensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad. You can search the database freely, but will have to register with the site to access specific information about the scholarships you discover.
Transitions Abroad lists information about specific scholarships and articles about Study Abroad funding.
Study Abroad Funding
This directory features detailed descriptions of hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Gilman International Scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a 2-year or 4-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.
David L. Boren Scholarships
Boren Scholarships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. We focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad.