Policy for Addition or Elevation of Sports
Missouri Western State University has a process by which it reviews requests made to University administration by or on behalf of students to add a particular sport, or elevate an existing intramural sport, to intercollegiate sport status. The process to expand Missouri Western’s intercollegiate sports program shall be initiated by the Director of Athletics. The approval or rejection of the proposal is the responsibility of the President of Missouri Western in consultation with the President’s Cabinet. Additional consultation with other campus constituencies is recommended as appropriate.
The Athletics Department will review potential varsity sport additions to the university at least annually by considering the following criteria:
- Identify sports being added by member institutions of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA) or other NCAA Division II institutions within the region;
- Determine the feasibility of developing a schedule that is both convenient and competitive for the sport and the institution;
- Assess the potential for the sport being added as a conference sport in the MIAA;
- The availability of facilities that meet NCAA and MIAA standards;
- The impact on diversity and gender representation consistent with the demographics reflected in Missouri Western’s student body profile;
- The level of support and interest from students, alumni, and the community or the anticipation of sufficient support and interest once a team is established;
- A financial analysis projecting the impact on the Athletics Department and the University as a whole.
A student may make a written request to the Director of Athletics regarding the desire to add a varsity sport at Missouri Western. The Director of Athletics will investigate the feasibility of adding the sport. Upon conclusion of the investigation, the Director of Athletics will provide the student with a written response indicating what action, if any, will be taken in regards to adding the sport requested.